XIII

← · · · ✭ 𝐥𝐨𝐭𝐮𝐬 ✭ · · · →

I had ignored Chris for the next week. He definitely knew something was wrong, but he chose not to ask. I found it easier that way, because lying to him would only make me feel worse. I had avoided Roger too, just seeing him occasionally at the bar or at the flat. Every time he gave me the same sad look, the puppy dog eyes.

Right now, we were on our way to a pub just outside of London. It was near another university, which meant there were loads of students there dying to see Queen. They grabbed more and more attention. The word that there was an amazing band spread sooner than we thought. They had asked Mary, Delilah and myself to join them today, for the moral support.

"How's Chris? I haven't heard you talking about him for a little bit," Delilah asked. She was in the passenger seat of the truck. I was driving in our car, while the other boys all drove in Roger's van with their equipment. Mary was in the backseat, her head tucked in between our two seats so she wouldn't feel left out.

"He's alright, I guess. We're taking things slow," I said. I didn't want to tell my two best friends what happened between me and Roger last week. I knew exactly what they were going to say when they found out; I told you so.

"You've been seeing each other for a few weeks now. Don't you want to take the next step?" Mary now asked.

"No," I immediately answered. I could tell she was a little taken aback by my fast answer. I looked at her through the rear-view mirror and gave her a small smile. "I just don't know if I am ready. He just doesn't feel like the one I would really want to be with, yet."

Delilah patted my knee understandingly and they let it go. I knew they were already happy enough I was giving this whole dating this a try. They changed the topic to something else, Mary telling us a story about a girl that came by her work. I saw how they laughed together, and I made me smile, especially seeing Delilah laugh.

A few days before the incident with Roger, she had knocked on my door. When I opened, I was greeted with a soaked Delilah from the rain. Her hair was wet, and she was shivering, while the mascara still ran down her face in the same stream as her tears. Then she said the two words I always hope to never hear from my friends.

He cheated.

I knew she was talking about Jeremy immediately. After a warm shower and a cup of camomile tea, she told me the whole story. Turns out he had been seeing multiple girls for god know how long. Even when I told her about what happened between me and him in the library – or what almost happened – she looked even more heartbroken but seemed to be glad she got rid of him.

We arrived at the pub not to long after. I parked the car and got out, followed by Mary and Delilah. While the guys were unloading their equipment, and getting ready to set it up, we walked in and picked a table. This pub was definitely a lot bigger than Chef's, but it didn't seem as cosy. Mary ordered two glasses of wine for her and Delilah and a coke for me, since I was the designated driver for tonight.

We talked for a while to kill some time, because it was still at least an hour till the boys needed to go on. The closer the hour came to an end, the more people came in. I didn't know if it was always this packed or if it was just because of the band, but it was something positive. Just fifteen minutes before going on, we decided to head to the back to wish them luck one more time.

While walking through the halls, we came across a little room, the dressing room it seems. Mary let herself fall into the arms of Freddie and Delilah walked towards John to chat – I was secretly hoping she would fall for him because he was such a sweet and loving guy. My brother walked over to me, looking at my drink quizzically.