XXXV

← · · · ✭ 𝐥𝐨𝐭𝐮𝐬 ✭ · · · →

The door opened again, and my head snapped up. I had been on my nerves all day. My father rounded the corner, looking at me with a smile that easily brought me comfort. It eased away some of the nerves. Most of them were still there. They had been there when I got out of bed this morning. Actually, they had been there all week.

Planning a wedding in four weeks wasn't easy. It took a lot of willpower and time, but we had to. The band was in for a long ride. Reid said that this was the only free time they would have in a while, so we should do it now. That put a rush on the dress shopping, cake tasting, picking the venue and making the guestlist. The only thing we didn't need to worry about was the music. Queenoffered to play themselves.

I looked at the clock while I paced through the room. I tried to remind myself to breathe. In and out, in and out. In less than two hours I'd be the great Mrs. Taylor. That gave me some relief. That it was only forty-five minutes till I would be standing at the altar. Till I would see him, and I'd finally be really calm.

"Angel, please sit down. Let Amanda finish your hair," my mother pleaded.

We had gotten well on our way of getting me ready, but I put a hold on that when the nerves were consuming me. With my mother, Mary and Delilah in my reach, there were enough people to calm me down. Luckily.

I turned around to look at my mother. She was wearing a beautiful maroon coloured dress that hugged her body just right. Her tiny little frame held me close to her. When I looked at her, she had a smile on her face. I nodded and turned around, sitting on the chair in front of the mirror.

Amanda finished my hair in record time. She didn't complain at all that I was being a difficult bride. Even when I apologized, she said that she had seen worse. I didn't know if she was being honest, but it was a relief to hear those words, so it didn't matter to me.

After she was done, I looked at myself in the mirror. I hardly recognized who looked back at me. I still had my own curls, but half my hair was done in an elegant updo. It had small pieces of hair sticking out of it, giving it more of a casual look. It was still me, but just a little different.

"It's time!" Mary squealed. She stood behind me, pointing at the white dress that was hanging on the wall. Time to get the dress on.

The dress was the first thing I had picked out for this wedding. Like every other girl, I spent years thinking about what kind I wanted. I had it all mapped out in my head. We went to a few different stores where I tried some that fit the description, but none were really it. Until we did find it. And it was the perfect one.

It was elegant, simple and minimalistic. It had short sleeves with an open back. The upper body of the dress was flower lace, and it was crossed over the chest. The skirt easily flowed out, but not too big. I wanted something that I was able to move in. Something that was me.

Mum cried when I put the dress on. She had been holding it in all day, and this was the moment she let loose. I almost cried too but decided to spare my tears for the speeches. Delilah put the veil in my hair and made sure it was secured. I looked on the clock again. Ten minutes to go.

"Can we come in?" I heard my brother ask from the other side of the door. Finally, he was here.

"Yes, please," I begged. The door opened and he stepped in. His suit was the simplest. He had it tailored for this occasion.

"Wow, Lotus," he gasped when he saw me. I smiled at him as he looked at the dress. He had seen it before, but not on yet. Only Mary, Delilah and my mother had. His mouth was still hanging open when he grabbed my hand and pulled me in for a hug. Probably trying to hide that he was going to cry.