V

← · · · ✭ 𝐥𝐨𝐭𝐮𝐬 ✭ · · · →

It was Friday, my usual working evening at Chef's. It wasn't as crowded as it used to be, but that wasn't a big deal. I was tired of going to Uni five long days this week, so I didn't have the energy I used to when I was working. When we didn't have any customers, Jack and I downed a shot together to keep out butts working. That was truly the way to get through the night.

I had just served a few girls that I had never seen before when I looked over at the booth my brother and the band were seated in. They seemed to have a great time, and I was glad. My brother and I had a brief moment of eye contact, did our symbol and then I got back to work. Just as I wanted to look around who to help, someone caught my attention.

"Excuse me, can I ask you something?" a female voice said. I looked up and met eyes with a girl around my age. Her blonde hair was pulled back with a ponytail and she had really pretty eye makeup on. She wore a lilac dress with black heels.

"Sure, what can I help you with?" I smiled at her. She was really pretty.

"I was supposed to meet someone here, but I don't think he will make it. Can I leave a message with you if he happens to show up anyway?" she asked me. I walked around the bar and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen.

"Here, why don't you write it down?" I suggested. I handed her the piece of paper and the pen.

"Thank you," she smiled.

I washed some glasses while she was writing down whatever she wanted. It didn't take long, because after a few minutes she put the pen down and folded it. She wrote a name on there before handing it over to me.

"His name is Roger," she told me. My heart sank when I heard her say those words. Roger had a date with a girl tonight and he stood her up? How rude of him.

"I'm sorry that he didn't come. A man like that doesn't deserve you," I told her. She gave me a small smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. "Do you want a drink or anything?"

She shook her head. "No, thank you. I'm just gonna go. It was nice to meet you."

"You, too. Have a good one," I wished her. I saw how she waved at me and then disappeared through the double doors.

"Who was that?" Jack asked. He raised his eyebrows at me.

"Someone who got stood up," I answered. I really felt bad for her. I looked at the note in my hands and pushed it in the back pocket of my jeans. I was almost positive I would see Roger tomorrow, and this wasn't the end of it.

"What a prick," Jack murmured under his breath. He grabbed his coat and told me he was taking a few minutes for a break. I said that I would handle it here.

I helped a few other customers here and there through the night while Jack was on his break. Some girls I recognized from Uni that came here every week engaged me into their conversation about the loss of all cute guys. I told them that if you look hard enough, there might be one that you haven't met before. But that advice went to dust soon enough when one of them said that they already did everyone that came here.

At the end of the night, Jack told me he would lock up and he would let me go home. I thanked him and grabbed all of my stuff. My brother had lent me the car tonight because he knew I had to work. I drove home quickly. When I got there, I made myself ready to go to sleep, seeing my brother still wasn't home – some nights he and the guys jammed till late.

The next morning, I woke up early – at nine to be exact. I made my way over to the bathroom to take a shower before getting dressed in some comfy clothes. When I got into the living room, I saw that Roger was sprawled out on the couch, his mouth hanging slightly open. My brother probably took him here because he was too drunk to get home on his own – it was a ritual.