XLII

← · · · ✭ 𝐥 𝐨 𝐭 𝐮 𝐬 ✭ · · · →

Roger got his wish. The boys agreed to put I'm In Love With My Car on the B-side. Freddie secretly said he liked the song but didn't want to go against Brian because... well, no one really wants to go against him. I think this is a good learning curve for him. Not always getting your way.

Rehearsals and recording had been going well. Freddie came up with a new song that was longer than anything they'd ever made. It was different. From what I heard it had overdubs, orchestra pieces and guitar riffs. All together in one song. I don't think anyone had ever made something like that, not even Elton John.

The time me and the girls spend here was refreshing and fun. We joined recording session sometimes, but those were long and slow. One of the days we all piled up in the car and drove to the nearest town to do a little exploring. There wasn't much, we walked through it in about an hour. We did come across a market we got fresh produce for dinner.

When we got back to the farm at the end of the day and decided to cook for the hardworking boys. They had been in that recording booth since eight this morning. We put on some jazz – or Delilah did, since she had the best taste. I poured us all a glass of red wine and we began chopping up veggies. In a bigger pot, we made a curry with chicken and in a smaller pot, we kept it simple with just veggies. For me and my brother.

Mary was telling a story about some customer she had at her job one time, when the backdoor opened and one by one the men walked in. They smiled when they saw us, Freddie even whistling at the way we all stood by the stove. Roger came up behind us and looked over Mary's shoulder.

"You women are a gift from God," he complimented us. Delilah laughed at this and turned around to give Deaky a kiss. Roger then wrapped his arms around me from behind and kissed me on my neck. "Especially you, young lady."

"Well, it's not every day your husband writes a song about you using a car as a metaphor," I joked slightly. There had been arguments about it here and there, but I just laughed at it. I found it hilarious.

"Yeah, and that said husband is in a band with his brother-in-law," Brian called from the other side of the room. Brother-in-law. I had never heard Brian use that word before, although it mustn't be the first time he's said it. Not with the easy way it comes out of his mouth.

I snorted and turned back to the stove. "Thank you, Brian. I missed you too."

Freddie and Deaky laughed. Mary told everyone to take a seat while she put the dishes on the table. I poured everyone else a glass of wine and topped mine, Mary's and Delilah's off with some more. Then we all took a seat and began assembling different plates.

We just wanted to start eating, when the door opened again, and Paul stepped in. He looked at us and smiled carefully. Next to me, Roger tensed up. He didn't like him, neither did I. A few days ago, he told me everything that Paul did that he found irritating, which was everything. I didn't know him personally, but if my husband didn't like someone, I didn't like them either.

"Do you guys have a plate to spare?" he asked with a smile. A fake smile, that was.

My brother stood up. "Of course, take a seat." I cursed this man's politeness in situations like this. He could never tell someone no – except me.

Brian grabbed him another chair and a plate. We all stayed silent as we watched him take a seat at the dinner table. Freddie tried to lighten the mood by telling a story of what he was expecting on the new tour. I tried to listen to him and ignore the heaviness that was hanging in the air, but it was difficult.