Getaway car

This chapter's a bit different, a bit shorter, I might start doing these sometimes. It's sort of a flashback from Star's past, that's gonna help you guys understand a few things about why she's so scared to trust people again, and has a hard time opening up. 

The song here is Getaway Car, by Taylor Swift (aka one of my favorite songs EVER) and it is super important that you guys listen to it because the chapter has like 682529 references to the lyrics, it's really built around it ! 

Hope you'll like it!

Let's gooooooo 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I was ridin' in a getaway car

I was cryin' in a getaway car

I was dyin' in a getaway car

Said goodbye in a getaway car"

Star's POV : 

The night I got together with Tyler was a pretty strange one. 

I had never been the type of teenager to do really bad stuff, but that one night, Inez, Tom, Ty and I went on a little adventure. Long story short, we got a bit drunk -more like way too drunk-, had fun on the football field of our town and then Tyler decided it was a good idea to go buy more alcohol, slightly forgetting that we weren't legal at the time. The dude working at the small supermarket we went to got mad and said he'd call the cops when Tyler tried to get out with the beer cans and Vodka bottle he had picked. Ty did something really stupid. He pushed the cashier against the counter, threw him on the floor and ran away with the liquor. What we didn't know was that the police had already been called and were on their way. 

We all got in Ty's car and he started opening the vodka bottle, laughing uncontrollably as if what was happening was the funniest shit he had ever done. We saw the blue lights at the end of the street we were parked in and the alcohol in our system didn't help us in the making of a smart decision. Ty started the engine and drove away. We managed to get away and somehow didn't get caught. We could've had at least 15 accidents on the drive back because of how drunk Ty was. But we didn't run anyone over, and didn't crash in a wall. Pure miracle, I admit. 

We went home and promised each other we'd never tell anyone about that. It wasn't that bad, right? Just extremely stupid and irresponsible. Before he went home, Tyler asked me if I wanted to be his girlfriend. Just like that. He was so drunk and so was I, so neither of us were controlling our thoughts really well. There was no filter. I knew it was dumb to say yes. I knew he wasn't a great influence all the time. I knew what my parents would say about it. So I said yes. That's how our story started. Two drunk teenagers that had just ran away from the police. 

But nothing good starts in a getaway car. 

Even though it seemed like the best of times at first. Even though he made me feel free. Even though he made me feel loved. I knew that, deep down I hadn't said yes for the right reasons. I had said yes because he was cute. Because he was my childhood friend. Because he didn't follow all the stupid rules we were forced to live by in our small town of Pennsylvania. I said yes because it felt like a small rebellion, a little crime. Against those rules. Against my parents. 

I knew that he was fascinated by me. I blew his mind because the things I did always looked so effortlessly cool. I definitely didn't think of myself as a cool kid. But I was just good at pretending. I pretended I loved the parties, the drinking and the weed. I pretended I liked being late in class and acting as if I didn't care. I pretended as if it didn't affect me that my parents and I had no relationship anymore. I pretended. All the time. So it was easy for me to pretend that I had accepted to be his girlfriend because I really wanted to. He never knew that of course. He didn't need to know. Nobody knew. But eventually, I got real feelings for him. I fell in love with him. I didn't mean to.