Where In The World?

"A what?" I asked.

"A mate," Nephys reasserted.

"Well, where I come from a mate means someone you call up, go down the pub with... but I take it you mean the biological thingy..," I blabbered, "The birds 'n' the bees, right?" I giggled, almost manically. It wasn't that I found the situation funny, it was just some coping mechanism kicking in.

"I mean someone who makes you feel-" Nephys began.

"A little ooh, la-la," I cut in.

"Yes, aroused," Nephys clarified.

"Got it," I said, looking up at the ceiling and closing my eyes. But I didn't actually really get it. "So, just to get things totally straight; kisses turned me into mer and now I need sex to go back to human?"

Nephys sighed, she too looked confused, "As I'm pretty sure you know, us mers mate in our human form," she said.

"Well, yes," I said, feeling blood creep into my cheeks. "I suppose I might know a thing or two about that."

"Well, we mate under the waters most often, but also above on land too... so we just need to get you to the stage where you feel like you might want to perform such a deed with somebody," Nephys explained. "Aisling says it probably won't reverse the spell totally, but it could well trigger the morph back and allow you to return to living on the land. It's the only act other than surfacing that gets us to shift, you see?"

"But I may still be mer after?" I asked. "Even if I do get my legs back?"

"Yes I think that's a part of you now," said Nephys. "As you are predominantly human, the spirits say you will be able to live like one, yet still come and be under the seas should you wish. I'm sorry I can't be certain, we are not experienced with this Crystal, it's a first for me... I mean... to think..." she drifted off suddenly. "I could have set one of the maids up with Georgie and maybe then he could have been down here with me all these years."

I smiled sorrowfully and put a comforting hand on Nephys's tail. I could imagine this whole human-mer thing was stirring up all kinds of emotions for her.

"It's not actually all its cranked up to be," I said reassuringly.

Nephys, looked at me, her eyes full of sadness, "Sweet Crystal, you have no idea yet what it is like to be a mer. You are too traumatized, but it is the best thing in the whole world."

I sighed, "Maybe Nephys, but I can't be down here with Llyr getting married; it's going to be torturous. And I have to get home to my parents. I need to get a job and get on with my life. I mean... maybe in the future, I can visit you, and we'll see... but right now this is the last place on earth I want to be."

Nephys smiled and leaned her head on my shoulder. "I understand," she said.

I had another thought, "Although finding a mate is also the last thing on earth I feel like doing."

"Hmm, there are plenty of yummy mermen out there, though," said Nephys.

I nodded. I didn't want to burden Nephys with any more moaning, but as ever, there was only one merman that I truly wanted.

And how in the world of shimmering shells is that suddenly going to change?

***

That night, Nephys and I stayed in her chambers. I was still under instruction to remain here until further notice. I really didn't know why. I mean, the cat was out of the bag. The entire kingdom had seen me.

We passed our time, munching alcohol capsules, lounging about on her bed and gossiping. Nephys told me about The Kingdom of Evergreen and her father, The King.

"There are a lot of male rulers, down here," I mused. I was yet to hear of a queen.

"Yes, George says we are very much stuck in ancient history in that way," said Nephys, her eyes a little glazed over. We had had quite a few camuls by now, and she rolled onto her front and leaned on her elbows. "Llyr always said I could be ruler if we were still married when Ri passed. He said he would make me the ocean's first queen."

I felt a tightening around my heart again, but Nephys put a reassuring hand on my arm.

"Everyone from my kingdom is totally against the union with Kara's family and The Timsah Kingdom, you know?" she said, as though to make me feel any better. "The people of Evergreen don't like what they stand for at all, which is basically slavery and evil... They at Evergreen are all very earthy; they believe nature and the ocean to be their ultimate God."

"And your dad?" I questioned. I seemed to remember he was as domineering as Ri.

"Well, he's into the whole Evergreen ideology of course, but I do suppose with Dad, he's also threatened by the whole thing," said Nephys, slurring a little. "He and Ri are best, best friends."

"Eugh, how can anyone be besties with that man?" I demanded, also feeling pretty tipsy.

Nephys giggled, "Oh, my father's just as strict as Ri, Crystal. They are rulers after all. You know how they forced Llyr and I to marry, they are often blinded by this idea they have of 'responsibility' and 'putting their kingdom first.' But I must say Father would never speak to you the way Ri did today...in fact, I've never even heard Ri speak to anybody quite like that before."

"He's a jerk," I hiccupped.

Nephys giggled. "Shhh," she whispered.

"He is!" I protested, "I've never met such a rude man in my whole life," I continued. "Oh, asides from Spirit that is."

"Yes, but you do know why Spirit's horrid to you, don't you?" said Nephys, propping herself up on one elbow and stretching out her tail.

"Because he's a j-" I began.

"No, Crystal," said Nephys, cutting me off, "it's because he-he... you... oh, what am I saying, I'm drunk!"

"He, me, what?" I said, sitting up suddenly curious.

"Nothing," said Nephys. "Gosh, alcohol really does loosen ones' tongue."

"Nephys, you already have the loosest tongue I ever knew," I said before giggling hysterically. "Not that I know many tongues, personally."

Nephys laughed too. Her laugh was like a little melody.

"So why can't you tell me this secret?" I said leaning forward curiously. "You have told me many others."

"Oh, there is no secret!" Nephys said decisively, reaching out through the water and touching a floating tendril of my hair. "I'm going to sing you to sleep, and in the morning I will go to Ri, the jerk, and see if I can finally get you out of these chambers."

I half-smiled and lay my head back on the rock. I was emotionally shattered, and with a little help of the distilled seaweed and Nephys's divine vocal chords, I soon found myself in a deep, deep sleep.