Chamber Fever

The following morning I perched on Nephy's balcony, anxiously waiting for her to return from her visit to Ri. I literally cannot wait for her to get back, I have serious cabin fever, or chamber fever, even. I just hope we can venture out, even just to stretch my, well, my tail.

I had slept like a log last night and was feeling a little stronger than yesterday. I had no coffee, unfortunately, just a couple of funny little berries Nephys had given me 'to sharpen my senses'.

Sure enough, as I sat there nibbling on them, I began to feel a little kick of energy. I looked down below, we were really high up, and had we not been in water, there is no way I would be perching so precariously.

I suddenly thought of Jemima. She had terrible vertigo. I remembered when I took her to the very top of The Shard one time - the tallest building in London. She had completely freaked out when we came out of the elevator, cowering in a little corner. It was highly unusual for Jemima to be the one to freak out, and myself the one to remain calm. Everyone had a thing I guess, and Jemima's was heights. I felt a stab of sorrow, as I thought about her. My dear girl would have had her engagement party yesterday, and her maid of honour had dropped off the face of the planet.

All I could hope was that Rosie knew and had delivered a blindingly good excuse. But I could already predict that Jemima would be furious that Rosie knew where I had gone and she didn't.

Eugh, everything's so messy. When Nephys gets back, I might ask if we can meet up with George and see what had been going on. Yes, this would make me feel better.

I suddenly heard Nephys's voice and turned. Is she back?

The chambers were empty. The water was still inside, no sign of disturbance. I leaned forwards over the balcony, maybe it coming from outside.

I had absolutely no doubt that it was her voice, and she was shouting. I looked down, wondering if she was having a row in the gardens below.

Again nothing. The green moss lawns were barren asides from the speckles of little fish here and there.

"How could you?" Nephys was shouting.

I swam tentatively out of the palace and looked around me. There was another protruding chunk of amethyst further down to the right; it looked like another balcony.

I turned and grabbed hold of Nephys's balcony. I did not want to go floating off again. I pulled myself along a little until I could hear the conversation better.

"You traitor!" she was sobbing.

"Traitor?" came another voice. It was a male voice. "After everything I've done for you, you call me a traitor."

It's Llyr!

"You are my brother!" she wept.

"I'm not your brother, though; that's the thing Nephys," he was saying. "If we were blood then Ri wouldn't be doing this."

Nephys was silent, and I could just hear her cries. My heart began to pound. What the hell is going on?

"Don't you want me to stay?" she said eventually.

"Yes, of course, I do Neph, if I could have it my way, then you would stay here for as long as you wanted, but it is causing problems. People don't understand why you're still here, in these chambers. You're not my wife anymore."

"Since when do you care what people think?" Nephys cried out.

"Kara cares," said Llyr. "If Kara cares then I care too."

I felt nauseous all over again.

"But...I'm...your...best...friend," she hyperventilated. She sounded absolutely devastated.

Llyr was silent.

"Is it because of Crystal?" I heard Nephys ask eventually. I froze as I awaited the answer in dread.

"No," said Llyr eventually.

"I don't understand," she said again, and then more angrily, "I simply do not understand!"

Llyr sighed, "I don't understand why you don't understand," he sounded frustrated now. "I'm going to have a new wife soon."

If I carried on listening to this, I realized I would probably be sick. I gripped the edge of the balcony and propelled myself back into Nephys's chambers.

How could he just chuck Nephys out like this? I thought as I perched absentmindedly on a rock. She's been here for centuries. The Jewel is her home. Surely Kara can't be too threatened by Nephys; I have never been remotely. It is just so obviously a platonic friendship, and as if there isn't enough room in this gigantic gem for all!

Suddenly there was the sound of frantic splashing and Nephys burst into the room. I looked at her face; tears floated upwards like little shooting diamonds.

"Oh, Nephys... I... I heard," I began, swimming over to her. "I'm so sorry."

"After everything I've done for him!" she exploded. "I was there for him through his mother's death... and when he was heartbroken over you!"

I bit my lip. I didn't know what to say. Surely this wasn't the Llyr we knew. Llyr had threatened to leave the kingdom himself when Ri attempted to banish Nephys over the George scandal all those years ago.

"I don't get it," I whispered, watching her as she swarmed angrily around the room. She appeared to be gathering things.

"I do!" raged Nephys. "In your words Crystal, he's a jerk. Or at least he's become one."

I shook my head helplessly. Could he really have become a jerk? He had been the sweetest man I had ever met.

"You're coming with me," Nephys said, rummaging through a big box of jewelry.

I nodded. "Well, if you're banished, I can't imagine that I'm welcome," I said flatly.

"We're all banished," Nephys shouted. "Myself, you and..." she paused while she wiped away more tears, "Spirit. He's already gone. And I don't even know where to."