Goodbye, Starfish Blues

The next day my mouth felt dry, and my head pounded slightly. I had only had a couple of half-pints, but for some reason, they had not settled well with me.

Those camuls had felt so clean cut and organic, that I could feel that brew from the barrel just polluting my body.

I made myself a coffee and then trudged upstairs. It was a fine day; the sun was shining, and the waters gleamed. I plonked myself on my bed and wondered what to do with myself.

I had always found it difficult to keep occupied here on Starfish when there was nobody around. In London, I would roam the streets alone, always finding boundless entertainment, watching passers-by or cutting down charming side streets. But on Starfish Island, there was only so much you could see or do.

I felt like pulling my hair out. The more time here, doing nothing, was more time moping and pining.

I went over to my bag to hunt for my iPhone. I would call The Rose - the pub I used to work at in Coney. I would see if they still had any vacancies and if not I would go and hunt around town for another bar. When I found my job, I would work every hour God sent, I vowed. I would save some money and then I could get out of here, go back to the city with a bit of cash behind me.

As I pulled out my phone, I saw I had a missed call from a 0207 number. It was somebody in London.

I called it back, taking a big gulp of coffee. I felt the caffeine course through my body, awakening my senses. If there was one good thing about being at home again, it was this very important, delicious brown drink here in my hands.

The phone rang, and then a male voice answered, "Hello, Green Star."

"Yes... hello," I replied, "I just got a call from this number."

"Crystal White?" said the voice.

"Um, speaking," I said. "Who is this?"

"It's Matt, from the bar. You dropped your CV off about a month back, and I said I'd call you the very first slot I got."

I laughed with surprise. I remembered him.

"Hey!" I said brightly.

"Well, I'm just sticking to my word. One of our barmaids has run away with the circus...err, literally I'm not joking. So, we've got a slot, if you'd still like it," he said.

"I would love it," I said instantly. "Like, love it."

"Okey dokey," he said. "Can you start tonight then?"

"Yes," I said in a heartbeat. "Absolutely."

"Lovely jubbly," said Matt, "seven p.m."

"See you at seven!" I trilled, hanging up the phone. I bounced about on the spot for a couple of seconds. This Matt bloke had saved my life. I could leave Starfish, tonight!

I would pack some stuff and jump on the first train. It was only early; I could easily get back to London by about five. I would call my old friend Jess, and crash there for a couple of nights.

I breathed a sigh of relief. My Starfish blues would finally be over.

***

I had bunged as many of my favorite clothes as I could find into my largest suitcase. I now sat on it, compressing it with my weight and forcing the straining zip around until it was closed.

In my other hand, I clasped my phone to my ear, listening to my mother.

"Darling, are you sure about this?" she was saying.

"Yep, very, very sure," I said, impatiently. Why was she delaying me like this? I still had to get dressed.

"But, I just don't understand why you don't take your time," she said forlornly.

"Because I haven't got anything to do here, Mum. You and Dad aren't even here; I don't understand what the problem is."

"Yes, but we'll be back soon, and I was looking forward to you being around more," she said.

I felt a little surge of guilt swelling inside, but I pushed it back down.

"I'm really sorry, Mum," I said. "I love you both so much, but you guys will be in London soon. We can meet up then, and maybe I'll even have my own place, you can come around for dinner."

"Well, it's hardly the same," Mum continued. "Speak to your father..."

"Oh no Mum, for goodness' sake..." I cried, as she handed the phone over.

"Crystal!" barked my father. "What's all this about you racing off to London?"

"What do you mean? It's my home!" I cried. Jeez!

I had run myself a bath, and I now climbed into it, careful not to splash any water on my phone. My father passed the phone back to my mother, and I was forced to argue on the phone with one hand and shave my legs with the other.

After an awkward bath, multitasking like so, I got dressed in black denim cut-offs and a white t-shirt. I tied my hair back into a bun and then smiled as I caught sight of my black vintage heels, still in the corner where I had kicked them off last night. I sat on the bed and fastened them around my ankle. I may as well get my eighty quid out of them, finally...

I looked around my room. My suitcase and handbag were all ready by the door, and everything else was stacked in bags and boxes, still unpacked from my move back from London. Hopefully, my parents could bring my stuff back when they next came to town.

I winced as I imagined Dad, huffing, and puffing, as he dragged them onto the boat again. Deep down I did feel bad upping and leaving like this, but I really did have to think about myself. I would go crazy if I spent another day here. I really might end up hospitalized.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knocking sound. I frowned and glanced at the little pink clock on my bedside table. My sea taxi wasn't due for another half an hour. I must be hearing things.

There it is again. A tapping at the back door.

Hmm, maybe it's our neighbor Mrs Hart or something. I wanted to ignore it, but a niggling feeling wouldn't allow me to. What if she's had an accident or something?

I sighed and stood up making my way downstairs and through the kitchen. The glass panel allowed me to make out the silhouette was that of a man.

Maybe it was the neighbor on the other side from Mrs Hart.

I unlocked the chain and swung it open. I opened my mouth ready to greet the neighbor politely, but when I looked up, I nearly fell over. My legs suddenly felt like jelly, and when I went to speak, nothing would come out.

Am I dreaming? Is he really standing there?