Alone Together

"Hey, kiddo," came a familiar voice as I surfaced. My eyes fell firstly on Nephys, whose arm was slung over the edge of the blue rowing boat.

"George?" I said, arching my back so that I could see into the boat. Two twinkly eyes looked back at me. "How are you?"

"Oh, old!" George replied.

"Old? What do you call your poor mother, then?" cried Nephys.

I bit my lip. I realized I had never seen the two of them together before. It was just surreal; wrinkle-free, radiant Nephys looked more like his great-granddaughter!

"Jurassic!" replied George, to which Nephys gasped and splashed him. He laughed and turned his attention back to me. "Got yourself a tail then, eh?" said George.

"It would appear so," I sighed, looking down. "Now I'm stuck."

"I heard...", said George, now shaking his head.

Suddenly Nephys's let out a cry. "Oh I just love this song," she said, placing her ear towards the sea surface. "I'm going to go back to the party to dance."

"Okay Mum," said George, patting her hand. "Have fun."

Nephys leaned into the boat and gave George a kiss on the cheek. "Now Georgie, no fatty foods. I've been studying, and I hear you humans need to keep your cholesterol levels down low, especially at your age."

"Oh God, how did she find out about all this?" George asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders and smiled. Nephys was being very maternal.

"I have my sources," replied Nephys, all matter-of-fact. "So no batter!"

I giggled. "No fish 'n' chips for you, George," I said with mock sternness.

"How did you find out about batter?" George cried. "This is all you, Crystal!"

I held up my hands, laughing. "I swear; this is the first I've heard of it."

"Hmm," said George. "Seems like more than a coincidence to me."

"Bye darling, eat lots of vegetables too, and wear suntan lotion," said Nephys, before descending below the surface.

I laughed, and George sighed. "Suntan lotion," he grumbled, rummaging about in his boat. "Anyone would think I was seven, not seventy."

I smiled, "She worries about you."

"Hmm," said George, retrieving some cigarettes. My eyes widened.

"Oh, my God!" I breathed. "Please tell me you have got a spare one of those!"

He chuckled and offered me a cigarette, and I stuffed it in my mouth immediately. George lit it for me, and I inhaled and then exhaled blissfully.

"Stressful week?" asked George, an eyebrow raised.

"George, you have no idea," I cried.

George frowned for a split second, and I instantly cringed inside. George had always been absolutely desperate to become a mer and live in the seas with Nephys.

"I didn't mean it like... you have no idea how it is to be a mer..." I stammered. "I just meant... you know, like the expression; 'you have no idea.'"

"Oh Crystal, come on," said George. "I'm not a nipper, even though Mum treats me like one."

"Yes, I know... I'm sorry, I just didn't want you to think that that was what I meant," I said.

"Well," said George, "I have to admit, I wouldn't mind trading places with you... but the life we're dealt is the life we're dealt, right?"