Two Little Letters

The very next morning I made my way across Starfish. It was a charming little piece of land, shaped exactly like the sea creature it was named after and home to just two hundred islanders.

My side, the west side, was wilder than the east. It had more trees and plants, and the land was hilly and unlevel, and hence, not many people lived over this way.

On the other side was the town with its many brightly colored houses and cobbled streets. There were limited shops and amenities, which consisted solely of a newsagent, a butcher, a church and strangely enough, an antique shop.

In between both sides nestled between the two back 'legs' of the Isle was the fishing community, perfectly located for daily trips into the ocean that stretched out before them. On the other side of the island was a small passage of sea which separated us from the mainland.

This morning I was heading to the fisher huts. My Dad had sent me with a message to a mutual friend. This was not any normal friend, however, and I felt butterflies in my stomach as I located the little blue wooden building.

I made my way down the concrete stairs and knocked on the door. No reply.

"George?" I called. Nothing.

The door was ajar. Someone must be there.

I pushed it open a little. There was a creaking sound. What's going on?

I took a deep breath and shoved it open.

"Wait!" a panicked voice shouted from within.

I screamed. My elderly friend George, the fishermen, was hunched over a table in various stages of undress, with a just-as-elderly woman, whom I had never seen before in my life.

They looked up at me like a pair of grey rabbits caught in the headlamps.

I backed out of the hut, completely mortified. Oh Lordy, this is so NOT what I had wanted to see!

I rocketed back up the stairs and sat down slowly on a bench, trying to regain my calm. What now? Should I stay or should I go?

Go! I decided quickly standing up and turning on my heel. I had done enough intruding for one day.

"Hey kiddo, wait up," a voice shouted behind me.

I turned. George stood at the door buttoning up his shirt; the woman stood behind him peering out curiously.

"Moira, this is my old friend Crystal White," he said, waving his finger between us as he made the introductions.

I stepped hesitantly down the stairs again. "Hi," I said, putting up my hand in a little wave.

Please don't try to shake my hand, I willed silently. I did not know where hers had been.

"I'm so sorry," I said, flushing red all over again.

"Ah, don't be sorry," said George, waving a hand dismissively. "Nothing nobody hasn't seen before."

"Well, actually-" I began.

"Yeah, yeah, I know, not a pair of codgers like us, but hopefully the nightmares will get better over time," said George.

Moira cackled and slapped him on the back, and I couldn't help but laugh along.

"Cup of tea?" asked George, an eyebrow raised.

"Oh come on!" I cried. "As if you drink tea!"

"She knows me well," said George to Moira. "Cup of whiskey?"