Jemima's News

That evening I put on my new blue dress; it was backless but had two delicate ribbons that tied behind over the bare skin.

After around five minutes of fumbling, I managed to tie the dress, and stood back to admire my reflection. It really was a nice dress with its matching ribbon straps and asymmetric skirt. I could also appreciate that my hair looked about a million times better. I was starting to feel embarrassed for walking around so long with that crazy bush on top of my head.

I turned to leave my bedroom; I was off to see Rosie, and I felt a flicker of happiness for the first time in weeks.

I floated downstairs, bending down to kiss my adorable chocolate brown Labrador on the head. Maurice had been excitable, wagging as I descended, no doubt expecting a little stroll around the block.

"Oh, sorry Moz," I cried, patting him on the head. "Not tonight."

He followed me hopefully to the front door, and I was forced to shoo him back inside and close the door in his face. I bit my lip guiltily as I walked down Lighthouse Lane.

It must be hard being a pooch, having to depend on a bunch of busy humans for the most basic of needs. I so wished that we could get him a giant dog-flap.

I was eager to get to Rosie's and I crossed the island quickly. As I reached her road, I realized I could taste the ocean on my lips. It's salt lingered in the air. I frowned, wetting my lips and wiping the taste away with my hand, now more pleased that ever to arrive at my destination.

I knocked on Rosie's bright yellow wooden door, and her father, Oliver answered, breaking into a smile when he saw my face.

"Crystal!" he exclaimed, leaning in to give me a kiss on each cheek.

"Hi," I exclaimed, happily. I laughed as I caught site of Rosie bouncing up and down in the corridor as Oliver let me in through the door.

She leaped on me, and I screamed and then laughed. She reminded me of Maurice.

"So good to see you!" she said, after she had calmed down a little.

"Oh, my gosh, I can't even explain how good it is to see you," I replied, following her into the kitchen.

"Vino?" said Rosie, taking a bottle of white wine out of the fridge.

"Sure, why not," I said smiling and perching on a kitchen stool. Rosie looked as lovely and immaculate as ever, with her long glossy brown hair and a pretty face full of freckles.

"You look exactly the same," I commented taking a glass from her. "As like, when we were seventeen."

"Oh, well, cheers to that," said Rosie, clinking my glass. "You look exactly the same too, except your boobs are bigger."

I looked down and then up at Rosie, "I know, right?"

Over the last couple of years, I had gone up about two cup sizes, not that I particularly minded. "Late sprouter, I guess," I said giggling.

"Maybe I might have a spurt too then," said Rosie, jollily. "Let's go into the living room and then we can catch up. Jemima's coming soon too. I think she's just waiting for the boat over to the island."

"Well, I have to warn you," I said, giggling, "she's already panicking that me and you are going to go off together, you know?"

"Yes, but it's alright for her to flick between us whenever she pleases," laughed Rosie. "Honestly, imagine how she is with Allan if this is how she is with us.

"Oh, my god," I laughed. "He's probably signed a contract."

Rosie laughed hysterically. "She's probably got him tagged."