Playing It Down

When I got home, I had jumped in the shower immediately. No sooner had I come out of the bathroom and into my bedroom, I saw a beautiful blue sky once again.

I sighed. That storm had been for me.

"Only just got up?" came a voice from behind.

It was my mum. She was leaning in the doorway, wearing her trademark expression of disdain.

"No, actually Mum, I have been up a while, I got caught out in the storm," I said.

Mum frowned, "Yes, that was odd wasn't it?"

"Very," I said, sitting down at my dressing table and pulling out my hair-dryer.

"Mmm, I've come to talk to you about that," she said looking over at me.

"What, my hair-dryer?" I asked, confusedly.

"Your hair!" she exclaimed. "I mean, look at it."

I looked in the mirror, even though it was wet, I could see what she meant, it was not the picture of health, all long and straggly.

"Well, what do you suggest?" I said, "I've not got two pennies to rub together unless you want to have a go with the kitchen scissors."

"Oh, stop with the sarcasm," Mum said.

"I was being serious!" I protested. I actually was. She can cut my hair for all I care. She could even put a bowl on top of my head and cut around it. I felt as though I had lost all motivation in life, and that included the drive to look good.

"Oh dear, Crystal," sighed Mum, "you look like you are in need of a cheer up. Let's take you into town shall we?"

***

About five hours later, we caught a sea taxi back to Starfish from Coney Bay, and I ran my hand through my new shiny locks. They were still long and flowing, but the hairdresser had taken off a good four inches of frizzy dead hair.

"Thank goodness," said Mum, looking over at me. Her own short blonde hair was always styled to perfection, and I imagined she must visit the salon about once a week.

"Yes, thank goodness," I agreed. "And thank you too!"

Mum had not only taken me to the hairdressers, but she had treated me to a new dress. It was very cute, short and cornflower blue.

"That's okay darling," said Mum fondly, "I had to treat my girl, it's so good to have her home."

"Yeah," I lied, "it's great to be here."

"Your father and I ... we have our own little life here, it's nice, I've grown accustomed to it over the years. But I still feel so far away from everything, from you."

"Yes, well... I'm here Mum," I said resting my head on her shoulder as we traveled. "Sorry, I haven't been back yet. I guess with you guys always coming to London and me having no money..."

"Yes, well not to worry," said Mum. "I suppose you had a traumatic time here, with the company."

I remained silent.

"How are you and Dad now anyway?" I asked, changing the subject. During that crazy summer when I had met Llyr, my parents had nearly broken up. My dad had turned into a militant anti-SKANX activist, while my mother had worked for the company before she too, saw the light and stole the documents. Up until then, it had literally been World War Three at home, and my Mum had even moved to the mainland for a short spell.

"Oh, we're fine," said Mum nonchalantly. "That was just a little blip."

A little blip? It was strange how people chose to remember things. Now that I had catastrophically revisited the past, perhaps I too needed to start playing it down. Maybe then I could live in the present once again.