A Little Light

I sat in Nephys's chambers in a stunned silence. I was too numb to feel much, but I knew that when this numbness faded, I would be left in excruciating pain.

The vision of them embracing just kept flashing before me. His smile, her smile, his hand on the lower part of her lovely back and Ri watching on proudly while the crowd vocalized uncontainable appreciation for their future queen.

And then there was me - the ridiculous ex - looming above them in their glory. God, it's just the most horrifying thing imaginable.

Yet it's reality.

There had been times over the last four years I had allowed myself to imagine seeing Llyr again. It had usually been in the context of wondering along a desolate beach in Coney looking beautiful or sitting on the end of my jetty staring out to sea. In my head, it was he who had come to find me, like before, and most certainly not me crashing his engagement party.

Spirit sat quietly next to me, and I eventually managed to look up at him. He looked back, wincing uncomfortably. He actually looked sympathetic.

"Well, if you are looking at me like that, then it really must be bad," I said hoarsely. Great, my enemy feels sorry for me.

He let out a big loud sigh, and it sounded like he was releasing quite a lot of tension.

"I'm sorry," he said, "I know not who saw you, it took quite some time for me to notice."

"Spirit, everybody saw me," I said.

Sympathy lies - URGH.

He looked away. "I'm sorry," he said.

Sympathy apologies now. What next? A sympathy hug. Please, no.

"Thanks for getting me down, anyhow," I said faintly.

He nodded and continued to sit by my side as I resumed my mortified trance, staring ahead at the mauve walls.

Nephys had not been here when we arrived, and we figured she must be out there searching for me. I imagined she would hear the news soon enough and come and look for us.

The light was fading now, and Spirit got up and swam out of the room, returning with a big crystal ball of light. He placed it on the floor and the room filled with a pleasant warm glow.

"Fairies," he explained, as he resumed his seat next to me.

I nodded and stared ahead. Suddenly there was the sound of swooshes and we looked up as Nephys came racing into the room.

"Crystal!" cried Nephys rushing to my side. Her eyes were wide with distress.

"Hey," I managed to croak. "I'm really sorry I lost you in the procession."

She shook her head. "No, Spirit was right, it was a stupid, stupid, stupid idea to bring you here today."

Spirit remained silent, and I was quite impressed. I would have thought he'd have loved the opportunity to gloat.

"I hope one day you find it in your heart to forgive me," said Nephys. "But looking at you, I imagine I am the last thing you are thinking of."

I looked into her eyes. I could barely even speak.

"I can't believe it," I whispered eventually.

"We are not happy about it either Crystal," said Nephys. "That is why we tried to get Llyr to see you yesterday. George told me that you were back, and you were... asking after him. Spirit and I... we just hoped and prayed that maybe if we could get you two together, it would make him change his mind. We told him to meet us, but he didn't know we had you of course - I don't even think he knew you were back on the island... Ri did not want him to know."

I exhaled wearily. Things were beginning to make a little more sense now.

"That's why George got so funny with me that day in the fishing hut," I said.

"Yes, and we think that it was Ri or his watch-mers, who started the storm to silence him," said Nephys. "Ri knew somehow you were back and he wanted to shut you out completely."

I looked down. I wondered if that had been him that night too when I walked home with Jemima. Had he been watching me, making sure I was minding my own business?

Spirit got up suddenly; he crossed his arms over his chest. "Do you know how much shit we're in now Nephys?"

Nephys' eyes were wide with worry. "I know," she said, swallowing nervously "I'm sorry." I felt my own guts clench. I knew nothing of the laws down here – I hoped the punishments were not too severe. I remembered how Ri had ended the life of the CEO of SKANX and shuddered.

"Why don't you want Llyr to marry this Princess Kara, anyway?" I asked, suddenly. She looked like a damn fine catch to me. I couldn't think why on earth they would risk so much to prevent this marriage.

"Lots of mer are weary of her and her family," said Nephys. "They..."

"I think we've told her enough," said Spirit firmly.

"Oh no, don't you dare," I shouted at him. "I am so fed up with you people keeping things from me. Maybe if I had known about all this, I wouldn't even have come out to sea with you."

"Yes but then what if Llyr had shown up... our plan might have worked," said Nephys weakly.

"Llyr looks pretty happy to me," I said angrily. "And I'm not some dog you need to trick to do things. Please, can you just let me make my own decisions – informed decisions - especially about important stuff like this. I mean... just look now... look at me!"

Nephys looked away, and I felt tears sting at my eyes.

"Look," said Spirit, "how could we possibly have imagined this was going to happen? I've never even heard of a human becoming a mermaid, certainly not since the great curse."

I put my head in my hands. I was too drained to argue anymore.

Suddenly there was the sound of swooshes and Nephys' floated upwards quickly. Her chambers quickly became filled with mermen, and I could tell instantly from their appearance that these were mer from The Jewelled Kingdom. They stood with stern expressions; arms crossed over their blue and white-dotted chests.

"The King would like to speak with you, Spirit," said one man, whom I recognized as Coral from earlier. "He is up in his chambers, where he requests you meet him."

Spirit raised his eyebrows and nodded coolly, although I knew that inside he was probably very worried.

"He also requests that you stay here Nephys, and keep the girl with you at all times," Coral said nodding at me.

Nephys curled her raspberry-red lips into a sweet smile and bowed her head.

Great, so I'm a prisoner now? I thought, my tired mind beginning to spin all over again.

Spirit looked over at Nephys once more, giving a subtle nod before swimming out ahead of the mers. They filed out one by one and Nephys and I were left alone. She was silent for a while, and I watched her face. It was tensed; her lips now pursed, her fine eyebrows drawn together. Her worry was evident.

"Well Crystal," she said, turning to me slowly, "let me get us those tipples and then we can have that chat I promised you."