Chapter 13

Avery's P.O.V.

It's been a couple days since I told Johnny my feelings for Steve. I was going to tell Steve I liked him, too, yesterday, but he went on a date last night. I have no idea who with, but obviously he didn't really like me since he is going on dates with some girl. Johnny stayed with my the whole night last night, though, to comfort me. I'm so thankful for Johnny. I don't understand his parents.

I told Ponyboy my feelings for Steve yesterday and he looked at me weird, but acted happy for me. I know he and Steve don't get along that well. That's one of the reasons why I started to hate Steve before, because he treats Ponyboy like a kid. Ponyboy said that he'd be there for me if Steve ever hurts me. Ponyboy is such a sweet guy.

Nobody else knows about my feelings. I don't want to tell people in case Steve finds out. Apparently we're meeting his girlfriend later today. In 2 hours or so. To tell you the truth, I'm nervous. I will most likely make a fool of myself or let slip that I like Steve. I hope I don't make a fool of myself.

~Time Skip~

Two hours has passed. I am sitting in the kicthen with Sodapop at his house.

"Hey, where has Dally been?" I asked, realizing I hadn't seen him in a while.

"He's in jail," Sodapop answered, shuffling the playing cards.

"Oh. What did he do this time?" I asked. Before Sodapop could reply, the door opened and in came Steve followed by this beautiful, blond girl.

"Hey, guys! This is Evie, my girlfriend," Steve said, holding Evie's hand up. She smiled and waved.

"Hi, Evie. I'm Sodapop, and that is Avery," Sodapop introduced us with a smile.

"Hi. I've so much about you, Sodapop. I haven't heard anything about Avery, though," Evie said, looking at Steve confused.

"She's not important. I only told you about the people I care about," Steve said, harshly. I felt my heart drop and tears prick at my eyes.

"Stevie, that's not nice. Especially to say it right in front of her!" Evie said. She looked at me apologetically. I looked away and down at the table.

"Steve you should just leave Avery alone. She has feelings that you probably just hurt," I heard Sodapop say. I looked at him and sent him a smile. He grinned back at me. Steve just shrugged and walked to the living room with Evie to introduce her to the others.

"It's funny how he can go to confessing his feelings one day and then going back to hating me with a girlfriend the next," I said sadly. Sodapop frowned at me.

"Do you like him?" Sodapop asked quietly so nobody from the other room could hear.

"...Yes. You can't tell anyone, though, Sodie! Please don't," I begged. He looked at me with a small smile.

"Don't you worry. I would never tell anyone," Sodapop said. I let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank you. Only Johnny and Ponyboy know other than you," I said. He then started grinning and wiggling his eyebrows.

"You and Stevie, eh?" He asked. I rolled my eyes and giggled. I decided to go into the living room, so I got up and walked in there; Sodapop following me. When I walked in, Two-Bit was sending death glares to Steve, which confused me. I looked at Steve to see he and Evie were whispering things to each other and giggling. I walked over to Two-Bit.

"Can we talk?" I asked him quietly. He nodded and followed me into the kitchen.

"What's up?" Two-Bit asked, cutting two slices of cake and handing me one. I gladly ate it and waited until I was finished before talking.

"Why were you sending Steve death glares?" I asked. Two-Bit looked at me.

"Because you like him and he's here with another girl, days after he confessed his feelings for you," Two-Bit explained. I stared at him in shock.

"How do you....?"

"I was coming in here to get a slice of cake to hear you telling Sodapop that you liked Steve. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone," Two-Bit said. I rubbed my face with my hands. I looked up at him.

"Why did I have to like him?" I asked, saying 'him' with disgust. Two-Bit chuckled.

"You don't always choose who you like. It just happens," Two-Bit said. I smiled at him.

"That's true. Same with who you fall in love with. You don't choose with who," I said. Two-Bit nodded. I ran towards him and gave him a big hug.

"Um...what are you doing?" Two-Bit asked. 

"Hugging my favorite cousin, duh. What do you think?" I asked, laughing. Two-Bit chuckled before hugging me back.

"Aww, you guys are so cute together!" I heard someone say. I pulled out of the hug to see Evie.

"We're cousins..." I said, my voice drifting off. Evie looked at me with wide eyes.

"Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! I had no idea!" Evie apologized. Is it wrong to hate someone for being too nice?

"It's no problem," Two-Bit said. I forced a smile out before walking out the door to have a smoke.

A/n,
This chapter is way longer than before! Almost 1,000 words! Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed!