12: Connection

As the dragon's weight hit the ground, the earth shook

As the dragon's weight hit the ground, the earth shook. All of us, as fragile, small and light as we were compared to them, collapsed as easily as if we'd been made of sticks and stones. One of them snickered—and by the sound of it, it was Dante.

The only difference their dragon-voice had to their human one was that its pitch was more leveled, flowing smooth like music, deep and melodic. It lacked human imperfection. The fact that Dante sounded like that pissed me off.

He sounded better than he deserved.

As the link grew louder, panic breaking out inside my mind that wasn't my own, I drowned out all the voices. I did not glance to my side to see how my brothers were reacting. I didn't pay any mind to Kendra either.

My eyes were locked with an intense stare that held me in place. They were like two, large round plates of pure gold, with a dark frame around the irises and a huge, black slit for a pupil. Inside the gold, there were flecks of what I would have called pure light. What it really was—I couldn't tell. But they captured my senses, captured my soul as if just by looking at me, my soul was hovering towards him. As if he was pulling my part of our essence to him, to unite it. To unite us.

There was an electricity between us, floating around in the atmosphere, so intense, I felt like it was tangible. I could have sworn, if it were physically touchable, I would electrocute myself and die.

My heart was racing, pounding against my chest.

I wanted to know him. To feel his mind inside mine again. To touch his skin, feel what he felt. See what he saw.

I wanted him. All of him. It was as though the force of his entry into my mind had opened me up to much more than just his voice.

When he averted his eyes, the spell broke, and I instantly felt cold. The connection was lost—albeit there was still an odd, tingling sensation sparking through my body that made me all jittery.

"I'm sure you all have some questions."

Damn him and that voice.

What are you? Jaxxon asked first.

Emmet and Reece were silent, staring at the four beasts in front of us. Reece, I could tell, was confused, curious and stiff.

He probably had no idea how to react to this.

A pang of guilt washed through me. Maybe I should have warned them?

"We're dragons, wolf-shifter. We've been here longer than any other race has."

Listening to his voice, I wished he would never stop talking. Reagan was mesmerizing, to say the least.

Why have we never seen or heard of you before?

"That is a question I cannot answer here." Reagan lowered his head, craning his neck so he was—almost—at the same level as we were. Still, his head was at least two meters above our own. He turned to Reece.