8: Sunrays

The suspicious trio and I trotted back to the pack together. When we approached the sleeping pack of wolves, all calmly sprawled out on the damp forest floor, I instantly steered towards one in particular. I tried to bury my anger and instead dug out a light mood that I intensified as I poured energy into the effort.

Kendra was just about to get up from her lying-position, berry-less. Before Shyla could voice her own suspicions, I addressed the fact Kendra wasn't with the berries I'd mentioned before Shyla could.

Kendra threw me a slightly confused glance when she noticed us all together. She surely suspected something was off, feeling it because she was my Maecena and knowing it because I would never willingly spend even a second with either Shyla or Tyler.

Seriously, Ken? Where are the berries? I said through the link, hoping to all the gods above that she picked up on the strained look I was giving and the nickname I never called her.

Kendra was my bonded Maecena for a reason.

Yeah, well... Sorry... I was hungry. You didn't really bring that many anyways, she answered as if we'd rehearsed it but perfectly natural. She added an annoyed tone at the end which made her performance that much more believable.

I pushed my utmost gratitude into her, concentrating on keeping the flow of the emotion strictly between us. If Shyla suddenly felt gratitude, she'd know it was from me and she wasn't completely daft. In truth, she wasn't half as dumb as I wished she were.

Holden, Shyla and Tyler turned their backs towards us, seemingly not interested, which I picked up as a good sign.

You could have saved at least a few, I answered irritatedly, nudging her side with my snout. You're getting fatter.

Her warm laugh flowed through the link while she physically made strange rumbling sounds. I'll scavenge some tomorrow and let you have them. Alright?

I was seriously amazed at how well we kept up the charade although Kendra didn't have the slightest clue as to what it was about.

It took about an hour until the rest of the pack awoke from their slumber and we could continue with our journey. Jarred and Reece took all the male members with them to find the place Jarred had mentioned earlier—'where dawn marks its end'.

Us females were, ironically, meant to scavenge for some more food.

The one time it would have been ideal to continue on with the journey as though nothing had happened... Reece obviously has to cross my plans.

I was glad to notice that the trio didn't seem to mind though. I caught Shyla staring at me one too many times, however the interactions between us were limited to strange stares.

Once nightfall slowly rolled in, the sky darkening more with each hour that passed, the men finally returned.

I heard their bellowing laughter from afar, glad that the endless boy talk Debrova had started with her sister came to an end. Kendra and I both glanced at each other when Debrova zipped her mouth shut so suddenly.