27: Into the Abyss

Mixed feelings swirled around me, wanting to invade my still ocean. Emmet was anxious to find out more, and so was Reece. Kendra was worried, while the rest of the shifters felt similar to Kendra. As a small formation of birds to the unknowing eye, the dragons flew above us, high enough that we could barely see them. On the ground, Kendra acted as the leading tip, since she had apparently completed the third stage.

I was still wondering when in all the gods' names that even happened.

But here she was, leading the way, based solely on her instinct to follow her promised. And the rest of us followed blindly.

I too could feel my promised's presence, yet only faintly. We already had a strong connection, which I suspected was due to my emotional hurricane of a soul, but our bond wasn't established enough to feel each other even if hundreds of kilometres separated us. Though normally, sharing thoughts was only possible after the third stage. Maybe entering my mind had nothing to do with the Promised bond at all. A part of me wished we could complete it...

While another was scared.

Ryker's mention of that list had my nerves on edge. And his cryptic answers hadn't revealed anything but more confusion. So to sum it up, like us, cross-breeding wasn't common in their world. Though with their kind, it did not surprise me. There was no living thing as large as a dragon and I somehow doubted they spent that much time in their human skins. At least, not as much as we shifters did.

I still wondered what Ryker meant when he'd said that Kendra and I weren't the first ones they'd heard of. Who else could it be? And if they knew someone, how couldn't they have known of their gifts? Did only shifter-promiseds have gifts? And if so, were Reece and Emmet also the other halves of dragonic souls?

Thankful that everyone and not only me were too caught up in their pondering thoughts, I would have probably killed us all had we been in a Rukhs'.

My mind was far too distracted for me to concentrate on anything. Even running felt like my body was moving on its own accord.

The trees here in these unnamed woods were nothing like those I was used to in Everett Valley. They had little cones hanging on their branches, which hung around the trees like layered skirts that grew slimmer the higher to the crown they came. The thin needles that served as 'leaves' were small and slim, their dark green color bathing the forest in darkness. The forest ground was full of light-brown, dead needle-leaves. They smelled peculiar, too. A smell I couldn't get used to, even after running for hours through the thicket.

We stopped only to rest for a few hours, drink from a tiny creek and continue. We'd barely eaten any food, and weren't going to for another while.

It wasn't until Kendra spotted lights in the distance that the pack began to panic.

Are those people? Jaxxon asked with fear lacing his voice.

We remained in our wolf-skins, slowly approaching the edge of the forest.