20: Acceptance

Dante, Reagan and I turned to walk back to the group that Reagan and I had detached from, earlier. Since I had not yet finished answering Reagan's inquiry, I felt the need to elaborate further. I still hadn't quite voiced my concerns and wasn't sure if the opportunity to speak in private would arise again. Everything about my future was uncertain, even such simple things. "Shyla and Tyler grew up in the same household so as far as we know, they're siblings. I've never met their parents though, and I'm not sure if anyone ever has. Shyla always said that they were very private and preferred living in isolation. We kind of just accepted that. Holden, on the other hand, lived close to Kendra."

Reagan glanced over to me as we walked alongside each other, Dante next to him. "Yes, I was at his house with Dante. It's very run down and no one seems to live in it anymore."

I remembered. I'd just recollected myself after a panic attack and had spotted Dante circling Holden's home. I shook my head, to which Reagan furrowed his brows.

"His parents died when he was young. He lived there for a while on his own until he was offered a place with Shyla and Tyler. It was his go-to place whenever he needed space from life."

"They've never sided politically either, if you know what I mean. In our community, most of us followed the council's ways voluntarily and agreed to the placed rules. Only very few are known not to enjoy them, but abide by the rules regardless. Shyla, Tyler and Holden were always very quiet and never engaged in any discussions or general conversations. Not much is known about them but what I've told you."

Reagan turned back to look forward, a thoughtful look on his face. "So they've been outsiders. This behavior is typical for them?"

"Well, in a way, yes. But I feel like even when someone generally keeps to themselves, there are certain situations in which one does not act like one usually does. Even if you are always controlled, I'm sure under special circumstances even you can lose your cool." I paused shortly. "I'd expect that after learning about your existence and being captured, they would at least feel unease."

Reagan nodded in agreement. "I see what you mean and I agree. It is definitely strange that they show no signs of distress."

Just as Reagan and I were about to descend a hill, not far from the group, Tyrion's large, brown figure came into view and he landed smoothly, barely causing any tremors. "Then I suggest we make them sing!" His voice was bubbly and I wondered about his choice in words, throwing Reagan a questioning look.

He caught on and the edge of his mouth curved upwards, though he said nothing.

Once the group came into view, I felt Emmet and Reece's eyes on me. Feeling strangely uncomfortable, I refused to meet their stares and instead kept my attention focused on the three figures sitting in the grass, bound together. Suddenly, lightning cracked through the atmosphere, followed by a clap of thunder.