7: Lies

Although the trio was far enough from the group to be able to have a private discussion, what they didn't know was that I hid behind a large, heart-shaped bush

Although the trio was far enough from the group to be able to have a private discussion, what they didn't know was that I hid behind a large, heart-shaped bush. Overripe, black berries fell to the ground with the slightest rustling as I moved behind it. Thankfully, these little bushes were everywhere.

I was well within earshot while staying perfectly hidden behind the thick, round leaves. As careful as I was to remain silent, they should have heard me approach. Thankfully, it seemed they were too preoccupied with their conversation to hear any of my movements.

But they were just as dense as I thought they were.

I know that but we can't risk having them hunt us down! Holden sounded panicked, which wasn't something I was used to hearing.

Holden usually composed himself and was very collected.

Now, all I could feel was their panic. At least I could feel Holden's panic, it overwhelmed Tyler and Shyla's indifference.

The attack would have been the best chance to do it. You were the one who hesitated, Tyler piped in, his voice dark, venom oozing out of it like liquid.

I absolutely hated that guy.

Holden lowered his voice, whipping his tail back and forth. He was nervous as he said, I didn't hesitate. It just wasn't a good time.

He was lying. I knew he was. But what was he lying about? What was it? And who were they?

Holden, the blond wolf sticking out amongst the three of them, finally stopped whipping his tail. Instead, he began to pace. The two silver wolves remained in their sitting position, backs straight and their eyes focused on something in the distance. They just stared straight forward like two soldiers before battle.

They reminded me of lifeless shells, figures that consisted of meat and bone but bore no emotions, no genuine feelings.

I had always asked myself where they'd come from. Their families had been the same, always very reserved and secretive.

But maybe it was in their genes, some kind of defect that didn't allow them to experience emotions the way the rest of us did.

Their emotional signature was just as gray and stale as their fur was in color. Both of them were nearly identical... Except, from time to time, anger slithered into Tyler's aura in the form of a faint shade of scarlet red.

Are you sure that the council still has no lead on Kintar? Holden said then, some mumbling following that I couldn't quite make out.

Shyla's eyes returned to Holden, though they looked anything but pleased. Let Kintar be my problem. Your only task was to gain trust. You've done most of your part.

She's been avoiding me though for the past few weeks. Something's changed but I don't know what.

A few birds screeched above us, making it hard to understand what they continued to converse about. My concentration wavered and so did Shyla's voice in my mind.