1.5: Reasons

Bookclubbers: I split chapter one into two, which is why this one is titled 1.5. So, if you've already read the first chapter, you can skip this one. 

Running towards a horizon that stretched out over much more than only Everett Valley, my thoughts turned my gut into knots as I contemplated what I'd just learned. The conversation grew silent as my response remained unvoiced. Am I leaving my home because I feel forced to leave or because there is nothing keeping me?

Please, everyone. I need your unwavering concentration now. My brother was pressing—time was thinning. We were on a tight schedule, especially since Reece suspected the council would send their watchdogs after us.

Keeping the two leading wolves in front of me within my view, there was a nagging feeling inside my chest, something truly bad was lurking within Everett Valley's shadows. I tried to inhale deeply and instead concentrate on putting one paw in front of the other, the trees blurring past us. The air was cool—refreshing to inhale. In. And out. In. And out.

I used the same tactic to keep myself from thinking about my promised and how I selfishly left him behind. All the reasons did not matter, because ultimately, I made the decision. I found myself here, amongst a forest that grew more unfamiliar with each meter that lay behind us, and would focus on setting my path for myself. 

In Everett Valley, everyone's path was decided by the council. At least here, I was capable of handling that on my own.

We'll stay here for the night, Reece's voice stirred within my mind, causing me to stray from the path we were on and follow Reece towards a clearing inside the forest. We were close to the eastern border of Everett Forest, the High Mountains already poking towards the sky in the horizon. Crossing those mountains would be the hardest part of the journey and we only had a day behind us. 

But it was even harder looking back and not falling apart as past memories threatened to leak through and invade my mind. My guilty conscience weighed me down further, and a burning pull blossomed in my chest.

As we reached the clearing, the ten of us all waited for Reece's next move. We hid ourselves behind trees and bushes. Reece peered out, watching the clearing for any signs of danger. After a few moments of chirping birds, the only thing that we could hear, Reece gave the 'ok' by taking the first step. 

He led the way, remaining within the mass of trees and bushes on the edge so we couldn't be seen easily from the other side. Reece was careful, and so was the dark blond beta that trotted beside him.

We reached the end of the clearing, a small spot full of foliage, when Jarred's voice rang through our heads.

This place should shield us from obvious sight. Stay close.

It was strange sleeping during the day, but because Reece and Jarred both said we needed to remain within our animal-skin until our journey reached civilization again, traveling through the night made more sense.