4: Trusting

Heat

Heat.

Heat engulfed me as flames that were supposed to be searing hot came crashing towards me like waves against the shore. I braced for impact, trying to ready myself for the smell of my flesh burning and unimaginable pain spreading across every inch of my body. But the flames never touched my skin. Although I could physically feel the heat warm up my insides, they never actually burned me. My heart was pounding so hard against my chest, I felt like I would faint any second.

The fact that I was unscathed only increased my panic. How was I not burned? Had I been in my human form, sweat would be seeping out of every single pore. Instead, I started panting.

From outside it must've looked like an invisible protection barrier had formed around my body—it was certainly what it felt like. I watched as the fire dulled and finally went out completely. Once the fiery red flames disappeared, I stared at five shocked creatures and instinctively started barking and snarling. Fear settled in my stomach and I felt like I was being pulled towards the ground by the weight of it.

What the hell were they? And how was I not burned?

The beat of my heart drowned out every sound, every rational thought. I was about to turn away and run for my life when I suddenly recognised someone standing amongst the grotesque creatures that had nearly killed me.

One of them was Kendra.

I turned to leave but my legs would not carry me further. My brain still tried to process all the images my eyes were seeing...

A slow, unsure, Uh... was all I managed to say. Kendra's chuckle went through our link. She slowly came towards me, a still somewhat shocked expression on her furry face. I backed up, still pumped with adrenaline and a cold sense of panic.

Get away. Get away from me!

Kendra's deep, brown gaze turned into one of shock and she stopped moving. She tilted her head, not realizing how all of this was completely overwhelming me.

You're alright, they won't hurt you. Before I explain myself—how the hell did you just do that?

If I would have known, I would have told her. Unfortunately, I had not the flicker of an idea. But once I realized that I could have been seriously injured and she barely twitched as a reaction, anger suddenly flared up inside just like the flames had around me.

Those things just wanted to torch me! What the hell did I do wrong to deserve such a painful death? I would have been grilled alive!

My voice was laced with panic as I quickly backed up, away from the four enormous scaled lizards in front of me. That was when true realization hit me—they were still there! The Promised Bond vibrated within my soul, indicating that Reagan was close by. My adrenalin must have clouded all of my senses. Unless Reagan was coming to my rescue, in which case I welcomed the thought of him being close.