33: A State of Chaos

Kendra closed her eyes and was silent for a few moments, drawing a deep breath as her eyes moved beneath her eyelids

And when she opened them, there was a fleck of red in her eyes as if she were ruled by her anger. But the red quickly turned to a golden yellow and when she closed her eyes again, a glow suddenly surrounded her without me changing spheres. I stared at her with astonishment.

A chilling wind blew then, making my skin crawl as the coldness washed over my body.

I folded my arms over my chest, trying to keep warm.

"You don't need to feel sorry," she voiced, a melody coming from her that I'd heard before only... less... mystical. It flowed like silk in a way that wrapped around me, as if I were lost in a line of linen sheets that swayed as the wind blew. I lost focus, and all that guided me was Kendra's voice. My surroundings blurred until I closed my eyes and let myself open. But it wasn't my eyes that I opened.

Suddenly, the winds grew still. A deep breath escaped my lungs.

"Did it work?"

Gasping, I felt my regret slip away completely. It wasn't like the times I'd sucked up other people's feelings and was drained of my energy as I forced them to disintegrate. It was so much freer, as if she'd just plucked a color from my ocean and made it go away without so much as moving a muscle. As if emotions were merely an inconvenience she got rid of, without much effort. But maybe my gift felt like that too, to those I was doing it to. Maybe that's what it felt like when I took away their sorrow, their pain, their anger—only I took the emotions upon myself and Kendra could make them go away completely.

Slowly I nodded and stared at my Maecena with wide eyes. "It worked perfectly."

Her irises lit up. "What? Really?" Her excitement latched onto me within moments, making my sea of emotions a bright yellow color.

"Yeah, I can't believe it!" I added, "How'd you do that?"

"I don't really know, actually. I just go into myself and change... something. I don't know. And then my voice just changes."

That sounded familiar. "You're changing spheres, I think. I do that too, to see emotional signatures. And Reece does it when he takes control of someone else."

Even Kendra's hmm sounded melodic. "Do you know what it is, exactly?" she asked then, staring at me with large, questioning eyes.

I shook my head. "No, but I reckon it has to do with the magic that flows through us."

Nodding, Kendra said, "Yeah, I suppose so." Sweat lined her hairline, as if she'd run a few kilometers in her human skin. Utterly exhausted. Maybe it did have its effect on her, after all.

"I overheard Dante and Reagan speak about it. They think that it's because we're promised to them and our souls therefore have more magic than others."