Chapter 25

In which, for a split second, Fitz listens to something other than her brain. 

Chapter 25.

Harry grudgingly skipped a day of classes in order to attend his father's bachelor party – an event he thought ridiculous, especially since his father had already been married and the evening promised nothing but pints, cigars, and rounds of pool with middle aged men.

Nonetheless, he attended at his father's request. It worked out swimmingly for Niall and me because he was back the next morning with his father's car to pick us up. After the three of us had attended our classes for the day and packed our bags, Harry drove us southwest to Bristol – Muffy's hometown – for the wedding.

Harry and I hadn't spoken much since the night I'd sent away the redhead. Harry must have remembered at least a fraction of our exchange once he'd woken up from his drunken stupor the following morning, but hadn't mentioned it. On the other hand, it was all I could think about but wouldn't bring it up for fear of setting him off again.

Apparently, neither of us had deemed it appropriate to bring Niall up to date on our sticky situation. As soon as he'd filled the trunk with camera equipment, Niall clapped his hands together and announced, "Normally I'd call shotgun, but tomorrow's Valentine's Day, so I'll let you two lovebirds have it."

Harry rolled his eyes before taking the driver's seat.

"That's fine, Niall," I said. "Take the front; I don't mind."

"No, no. All yours," he replied, opening up the door for me. "But remember I'm sitting right behind you, so no road head or anything."

Exhaling a painfully even breath, I hopped into the passenger seat, muttering before he closed the door on me, "Idiot."

If truth be told, I was grateful for Niall on that two hour road trip. Harry and I weren't in the mood for talking, but Niall cheerfully shared his snacks with us and kept conversation rolling. Most of the time I wasn't paying attention to what he was saying, but it was better than dead, weighty silence.

"So who's coming to this thing, Harry?" Niall asked once the subject became the wedding.

"Which of your female cousins are single?"

Harry's grip tightened on the steering wheel in annoyance, but he replied calmly, "I have three cousins on my dad's side, and only one is female."

"Great. What's her name?"

"Dana."

"Brilliant."

"She's ten."

I bit my lip, containing my smile as Niall cursed in disappointment. "What about Misty, then? Has she got any hot female relatives?"

"Dunno," Harry answered. "Don't care. Aren't you supposed to be behind a camera the entire night – you know, avoiding interaction with any and all guests?"

"I'm a multi tasker," Niall replied simply.

"I'd feel a lot better if I knew you weren't looking at this as an opportunity to get shot down by every girl in the venue," Harry went on.

"Shot down? Who said anything about getting shot down?" Niall surprised me by popping his head between our seats. "I'll be all spiffed up in my tie and top siders. Who could say no to that? The real struggle will be deciding which hopeful gets to spend the night with me."

I pretended to gag, despite the fact that Niall was obviously joking.

"We're sharing a hotel room, mate. You know that, right?" Harry asked in amusement.