Epilogue

In which the end seems a lot like the beginning.

If I'd learned one thing, it was that graduation ceremonies were rather tedious. Harry's graduation was dry enough – attending my own the following week would be excruciating. This time, at least I was seated beside Muffy, whose hands were held out and ready to applaud at a moment's notice. She was on the edge of her seat throughout the droning speeches of the principal, the valedictorian, and the honorary speaker, as if their words were brand new information that had never been said before at a commencement. If nothing else, Muffy was entertaining.

Harry was seated several rows ahead of us in a cluster of graduates sorted alphabetically. While they lined up to receive their diplomas, I couldn't stand the boredom and resorted to toying around on my mobile, checking Facebook for interesting updates. I spent a few minutes searching around until I landed on Harry's profile, unable to help the small smile on my lips as I stared at the cheeky, dimpled grin he wore in his picture.

He was nearly at the front of his queue, his name about to be called for his diploma, so I didn't write him a message on his wall for fear of it being time stamped. Instead, I sent him a request.

"We should do something when Harry's name is called," Muffy whispered to me, her wide eyes aglow with excitement.

There were a hundred students or more, and we'd been given instructions by the principal to withhold applause until all graduates had received their diplomas.

"What did you have in mind?" I asked, arching a skeptical eyebrow.

She smiled secretively. When the principal said Harry's name into the microphone, Muffy grabbed my wrist and tugged me to my feet. She cheered, and I followed along, not knowing what else to do.

While I clapped with my hands over my head and hooted, Muffy put two fingers in her mouth and whistled so loudly, I could have sworn that half the audience covered their ears and the other were stricken deaf.

While Harry received his diploma, the look on his face was one of pure astonishment.

Muffy and I took our seats with all eyes on us. I covered my face with my hands in disbelief at what we'd just done. Muffy giggled beside me, patting my knee. Even when I removed my hands from my bright, rosy cheeks, I made sure not to check in with Mr. Styles, who probably thought that Muffy and I were hooligans who'd made a mockery of his son's graduation.

"You can whistle with two fingers?" I hissed at Muffy, seriously impressed.

She winked. "I'm good with my tongue

My smile faded as her words sunk in. I was certain I didn't want to know what that meant.

As Harry returned to his seat, diploma in hand, he caught my eye. While I plastered on what was surely a dazzling smile, he kept a straight face, shaking his head in feigned disappointment. I pointed to Muffy and shrugged helplessly.

After that, I could only see the back of his head under his graduation cap, hair curling out the bottom. I figured his head was hung as he unfurled and read his diploma while the remaining students accepted theirs.

A few moments later, however, my mobile vibrated – a notification from Facebook. From his seat ahead, Harry had received and accepted my request. His profile read:

Harry Styles is now in a relationship with June Fitzpatrick.

Flutters swirled in my belly, and I had to bite my lip to keep my smile a polite grin rather than an open-mouthed ear-to-ear festival of joy.