Chapter 34

In which all of her sandwiches are his

Chapter 34

I was at the Hub Cub minding my own business in the production line when Liam materialized on the other side of the counter.

"Hi, June," he said, ducking his head to meet my lowered eyes. Despite my irritated glance, he smiled and waved.

Odd.

"Hi," I answered with a tedious sigh. "What's the order today? Bruschetta bagel?" He nodded as I passed him the wrapped sandwich over the counter. "Here, come to cash with me and I'll refund you. You can have my staff sandwich today."

"No need," said a soft voice over my shoulder. To my surprise, there was Macy, bag over her shoulder and jacket on her arm, prepared to leave at the end of her shift. "I already rung him up on my account."

Considering those were the first words she'd spoken to me since the night I'd confessed everything at the Hub Pub, and those first words had to do with being charitable toward Liam, it was safe to say that I was taken aback. Even more surprising was that her voice seemed free of resentment.

Macy gave a small smile, self-consciously pushing a section of hair behind her ear and shrugging. "You should save your sandwich for Harry, Fitz."

"Uh, Fitz," said a nasty, mocking voice. Thomas popped his head to our conversation with a sarcastic smile. "You're two sandwiches behind in the queue."

I'd been tolerating Thomas' raging bullshit for the last week because I hadn't had the spirit to defend myself and fight back. Even then, I merely gritted my teeth and resolved to get back to work.

"Bugger off, Thomas," Macy said before I could resume the task at hand. Both Thomas and I whipped up our heads in surprise, finding Macy firm in her stance.

"We have a lineup," Thomas pointed out, obviously not as thrown off by Macy's authority as I was. "Her job's to put the bloody sandwiches together."

"Well, you know how to make them," Macy replied. "For Christ's sake, it's not rocket science. Make yourself useful."

My jaw was entirely unhinged as I dumbly followed Macy around the counter. Never had I seen her so sure of herself. Never before had she stuck up for me in front of Thomas. It was only a sandwich business, at the heart of the matter, but there was a hierarchical ladder just as there was anywhere else. And for the first time, I didn't feel as though I was on the bottom rung.

"I'll meet with you in a minute," she said to Liam, who nodded and went to find himself a table where he could eat. she turned to me while I struggled to regain my wits.

"You don't hate me," I said in a disbelieving breath, frowning as I tried to piece together what had brought about her change of heart. I certainly hadn't done anything to make it up to her.

"No, I don't," Macy replied, folding both of her arms under her jacket. "For a while, though, I didn't like you very much."

I nodded, lowering my gaze. "What changed?"

She heaved a sigh. "Liam told me how you've been staying over at their place ever since things went sour between you and Harry. He says you've been an absolute wreck."

"How generous of him," I said dryly. A tedious sideways glance at Liam revealed him happily munching away at a small round table, oblivious to my lack of amusement as he waved to someone he knew in the queue.

"And I've spoken to Harry, too." I turned my head sharply, and she was quick to add, "We didn't talk about you. I don't think he wants to. Even so, his voice is so dreary and there's no smile in his eyes. I know it's been terrible for him."