Chapter 29

In which Harry isn't the only one to be self-sacrificing

Chapter 29

"Did you just get a new order?" I asked Thomas, craning my neck over his shoulder for a peek at his screen.

Glaring at me in distaste, he angled the screen away from me as if the information presented within was confidential.

"Actually, three new orders just appeared on my screen, which means you're now five behind."

I groaned in annoyance and went back to my place in the production line. A glimpse across the Hub Cub at cash had informed me that Zayn had arrived. After overhearing his conversation with Harry the day before, I was less than eager to run into him.

And if I weren't behind on five bloody sandwich orders, it would be the perfect time to slip undetected into the stock room on my break.

At least the sandwiches kept my head down, even if they didn't distract my thoughts. I feverishly clung to the hope that Zayn had only ordered a drink or a muffin and would bypass the sandwich queue entirely.

I wasn't surprised to learn that luck wasn't on my side. He appeared across the counter from me only a few minutes later, offering a slight wave when I looked up.

"Shit. I mean, hey!" I said brightly. It took every bit of strength I possessed to smile in front of the person who knew all my secrets.

"Hey, June."

He was cordial. For some reason, that frightened me. He knew. He knew and it was awkward. He was terrified of me for orchestrating such a ridiculous scheme to get his attention. He thought I was desperate and sad and strange. He wanted to get away as fast as possible.

An awkward beat passed, but as always, it was difficult for me to ignore the silence.

"I didn't see you in line. I could've set you up with my free staff sandwich."

Eavesdropping beside me, Thomas groaned at my lie. I flashed him a threatening glare to shut him up.

"S'all right," Zayn shrugged. "I know you save those for Harry."

Recognizing Harry's name, Thomas mumbled a "Hmph!" as he busied himself with other things. My cheeks burned at the mention of his name, and though I tried to find the words to say, there were none.

"Besides, I don't mind paying," Zayn added.

I nodded, wrapping up his order and handing it to him over the glass. I'd lost hope for the two of us, but at least he wasn't going to rub it in my face. Both of us seemed intent on pretending – Zayn pretending that he didn't know what I'd done, and me pretending I didn't know that he knew.

We exchanged stiff smiles and Thomas slid the next two slices of bread toward me to begin preparing. I made a move to get back to work.

"Hey... June?" Zayn asked before taking his leave.

My heart jumped. "Hmm?"

Zayn hesitated, appearing out of his element. "You like pool?"

I nodded eagerly – too eagerly. Zayn chuckled, and I added, "Well, I'm not particularly good at it – but I like it."

"You free to go to The Grill on Friday for a game? Maybe two?"

"Oh," I said, my breathing shallow and quick. "Is everyone going?"

Every time Zayn had invited me to an event, I'd gotten myself all rattled only for it to turn out opposite of my expectations. With my heart in a delicate position, I was determined not to get my hopes up this time.