Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

My new apartment was a modern one bedroom not too far from the centre of the city. It wasn't big and fancy like Malachi's, but I did find it to be cute and cosy. It was nice to be back home. Compared to London, Wilmington was a calm city where people walked slower and took life less seriously. I was able to meet up with Shay as well. She had stayed in Wilmington for university and even started her job as a teacher back at Steward Martin High, the same place we went to school together. She was never going to leave that city, in fact, it was a pain just to get her to visit me in London.

"I'm so happy you're single now," she said once I had explained the situation to her. "From when he pulled that stunt on you in uni? You should have left from there; he's been taking you for granted."

"Maybe," I replied biting into my pizza.

Although I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the situation and was happy to have their support, a little part of me wanted at least somebody to be on his side. It sounds crazy, I know but there was still a part of me that was still a helpless romantic for him. A part that wanted to just get past it all.

"Do you miss him?" she asked softly. Her dark brown eyes were wide and understanding. I could imagine her being the teacher that all the girls went to when they had a problem.

I nodded. I felt a lump begin to form in my throat. "But it's whatever," I said fighting the urge to cry. "Everything happens for a reason."

"Oh Alex," she said putting her hand on my leg. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you upset! It just gets me so mad every time he makes you upset. You're so sweet and he's so not sweet and it makes me so angry, you don't even understand."

I nodded again but this time I could feel the tears overwhelm me. Shay awkwardly climbed her sofa and gave me a hug. Being seven months pregnant, it was hard for her to hug me properly because her humongous belly was in the way, but it was the thought that counted.

It was hard for me to enjoy the warmness of her hug though because the feeling of me forcing down the tears combined with the overly greasy pizza was starting to make me feel a bit nauseous. Shay's living room was also quite warm, and the sticky feeling of my sweat just added to the nausea.

"Shay?" I said softly into her hair that had grown thicker and longer with the pregnancy.

"Yeah babe."

"I feel like I'm going to be sick."

She swiftly let go of me and I took in some deep breaths. It helped slightly but the room was still far too hot.

"Bitch is you pregnant?" she asked giving me the side eye.

"Oh God don't say that," I pleaded holding my breath.

"Imagine if you were!" she exclaimed getting up slowly. "Dane would actually have all of his prayers answered."

"Would it even be his?"

Shay shrieked and then suddenly, I heard hurried footsteps rush towards the living room. I hadn't told her about Malachi yet.

"Babe you okay?" her husband, Ramon appeared at the door, his face was plastered with worry. "Shay what the fuck? You tryna kill me?!" he huffed once he realised that she was okay.

"Don't be mad, I'm actually not okay. Alex is spilling the tea!" she replied dramatically.

Ramon shook his head and rolled his eyes. "You see what I deal with?" he asked me. "Here's me thinking shit, she's having her contractions and she's screaming the flat down over gossip."