Chapter Two

Chapter Two

____________

Two years prior

____________

I rolled over to the other side of my bed. The pillow I had been using was soaked on both sides and the wetness was irritating me. I couldn't sleep. I had a tutorial in the morning that I couldn't miss but even that wasn't enough to force myself to sleep. I had cried so hard that the silence of 2am was now periodically interrupted by my hideous hiccups. I couldn't take it anymore. I got out of bed and walked across my room to where my phone was charging. I had placed it there to stop myself from doing the very thing that I was about to do...call him.

The phone rang for what felt like an eternity but at the last ring he answered.

"Alex?" he asked with the wind whipping away in the background. Voices of girls shrieking and giggling also filled the background alongside a pumping bass and sounds of bottles breaking.

"Where are you?" I asked sniffing.

"Party," he replied shortly. "Are you okay? We're not supposed to be speaking."

The first answer felt like a stab in the chest and the second felt as though the knife had been twisted. There I was crying about the prospect of losing the love of my life forever whilst he got shitfaced at a party with a bunch of random women.

I hung up.

***

"I'm glad you decided to come," Dane said taking a sip of his wine. "We needed this."

"I can't kill myself with work and neither can you," I replied.

He nodded and then his phone vibrated a message from Sian popping up on his screen, promptly followed by a few more. He swiftly put his phone into his blazer pocket without even glancing at the messages.

"You can answer if you like," I said trying not to let the bitterness show in my voice. He shook his head. He knew better than to do that.

"I'm with you," he said with his eyes glistening. "You look so beautiful tonight."

I rolled my eyes slightly, but I couldn't help but feel myself blush a little at his compliment. It was crazy how he still managed to do that. Even after all those years I still felt like a little schoolgirl whenever he flirted with me.

"It's okay, I know you want to be angry with me, but I just can't help myself," he continued looking deep into my eyes. "I'm tempted to take you back to our room right now."

"This outfit cost too much for me not to wear it for at least three hours."

He raised his eyebrows in amusement. "I'm sure it did, tell me, how does it feel to have a fancy government job that pays you ridiculously?"

"It's not ridiculous at all," I chuckled.

"Well then I guess you won't mind that I'm pregnant then? Trapped now."

I snorted and he laughed at me heartily. "The only ridiculous thing about me Dane is you."

He flashed me a wicked smile. "So what will it take for me to get you out of that dress in the next thirty minutes?"

"We haven't even ordered yet!"

"Not for want of trying," he replied taking a dig at my indecisiveness.