Chapter Eight

Question: Do you guys prefer shorter more frequent chapters or longer chapters that are a bit more spaced out? x

Chapter Eight

The first thing my mum did when I told her what had happened was drive down to London to help me move out. I still had a whole month until I moved back to Wilmington but she pretty much demanded that I found a temporary place to stay until everything sorted itself out. It made me regret telling her slightly because although Dane's behaviour was unacceptable, I didn't want to make things a bigger deal than what they already were. But I had promised myself that I would stop hiding things from my mum. Ever since I had moved out, our relationship had gone from strengths to strengths and honestly, she was one of my best friends. Whenever I went home, we always spent quality time together whether it was shopping or cooking or even just taking the twins to the park. It became increasingly hard to hide things from her, especially after I broke down in tears to her after Dane left me at university.

As always, ever dependable Abi took me in which I was entirely grateful for because, had I had stayed by myself in a flat like Nick had offered, I would have driven myself crazy with my own thoughts. Dane hadn't said much since I left which was disappointing. The day I left he sent me a message telling me he was sorry and was willing to give me time, but I didn't respond and he didn't text me again. I wanted to respond but I didn't want to get sucked into brushing it all under the rug again. I needed space and I needed time. I needed to heal, we both needed to heal.

I guess it was easier not to respond because my medication was kicking in. It kicked in subtly. I hadn't actually realised what was happening until I told Abi about my muted feelings and she put two and two together for me. If my feelings were on a scale then the Fluoxetine was a blocker at around 40%. I felt the feelings, but they just weren't as intense which meant that they were easier to ignore. But even still, because my emotions were 'capped' it was easier for me to explore them and actually talk about what was upsetting me. It made my emotions manageable and I wholly appreciated that.

Being able to manage my emotions was part of the reason why I decided to go to Malachi's two weeks later. Khalida had been begging me to go once I postponed it the first time and usually. Considering the circumstances, I would have just sodded it off but I was just starting to rediscover myself. Not being with Dane didn't mean my life was over and I needed to act that way. So, on a Saturday evening Abi and I, equipped with two bottles of Pink Moscato and Chardonnay went over to his place.

I quite liked Malachi's apartment. After landing himself a banking graduate scheme, he had become a true city boy and had the ultimate bachelor pad to prove it. I remembered laughing at him when he said that he had hired an interior designer, but it was worth it. His flat was dark and sensual with dark green walls and skilfully placed black and wood accents. Everything down to the scent of his hallway was coordinated and had meaning and I loved it. His whole place just exuded luxury.

"Well, well, well, look at who it is," he said once he had opened the door. The usual candle scent was replaced with a weed infusion.

"Hi stranger," I replied giving him a hug.

He greeted Abi and led us into the living room where everyone was already chilling together. Miguel was slumped in the sofa as high as a kite half speaking to Khalida and Craig and half just vibing to nothing. Malachi wasted no time filling our glasses and for most of the night we all just sat and spoke whilst alternative r&b and hip-hop played in the background. This was one of the best parts of being an adult, being able to socialise without it having to be a big night out. Lowkey kickbacks with only the people you knew and trusted were honestly the vibe. I didn't have a good experience with parties so I actively avoided them but this was something I liked. Of course, I didn't know Craig that well, but it was easy to work him out.