Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Heartbreak never gets easier. You'd think after it happening so many times with the same person that I'd at least get better at dealing with it but I didn't. No more than thirty minutes after he had left, I was calling him. As I expected he didn't answer and the growing feeling of guilt and sudden loneliness began to loom over me. What had I done? I texted him that I was sorry about what I said which he read, began to reply to then ignored. I was struggling to gulp down my tears when my phone suddenly rang. It was Khalida and without hesitating I answered the phone and began bawling to her. It was hard for me to explain what had happened between all the tears and the hiccuping but she got the gist of it and soon enough she was racing down the motorway to see me. I was grateful to have her as a friend, she was there for me when I needed it and I appreciated her dropping everything to make sure I was okay.

By the time she had arrived, I was nearly all cried out.

"Alex, I know you probably don't want to hear this but I have to say it," she said holding my hand. "Dane is not good for you. He is toxic."

"He's not!" I whined.

"No," she contested firmly. "He is. All he's done today is make a big fuss out of nothing so you feel bad and he gets away with what he's done. I'm sorry Alex but let's be real. What does he have to offer to you? Don't get me wrong girl, I get it. You guys are childhood sweethearts and you love him, I know that you do but he doesn't deserve your love. Your love is soooo intense and unwavering and his is weak. It's dependent on how much abuse and I will say abuse because fucking hell, how much does he need to put you through? Miya, drugs, debt that bitch from his work, his blatant disregard for you and even your career?!! Baby please, listen to me. You deserve so much better than him."

"He needs me though!"

"But you don't need him," she replied softly. "And if he needed you that much, would he treat you this way?"

Tears rolled down my face. "I can't believe it ends here, after everything..."

"Nothing lasts forever...Alex babe, you tried. You really tried, you did your best. You can't do anything more, I won't let you. You're my best friend, I'm not going to see you like this again over this dick."

"He thinks his mum abandoned him and now I'm doing it too."

"He abandoned you! He abandoned you and you waited and that stroked his ego. Do you want to know the real reason why he's flipping out so much? It's because you have options and you're starting to explore them. I'd be the same fucking way if my competition was Malachi."

Everything she was saying made perfect sense and it was everything I already knew and thought but the reality that we were over distorted my brain. All I could do was cry and cry and cry. I loved Dane. Even after all the pain and the arguments I loved him and ultimately, I was scared to live without him. Despite everything, he was my comfort. There were things that he knew about me that I didn't know about myself. He read me so well and when things were good, he cared for me like I was the most precious thing in the world. He wanted me to be his wife, the mother of his children and eventually, once he got better, once we got better I thought we could have that. But it was over. All we did nowadays was hurt each other.

Our relationship wasn't fun anymore it was a chore. It was hard and painful. The good days were over. We'd tried to fix it. If I was honest the engagement was like sticking a bandaid on the relationship but the cut was too deep. It needed more than that but none of us had the strength to continue. We had to leave each other before we destroyed each other.