One Sad Night

Shadow's P.O.V

I know Cream was beyond sad. I know inside she was being tortured emotionally by all the grief and shock she was just struck with. When I lost Maria, I knew I was beyond destroyed on the inside. That's why I decided I'd take her in for the night. I might just keep her here until she can figure her own life out in the real world.

When we made it home, I helped her to get some fresh clothes instead of her soaked drenched pair that she wore. I sat her down at my table inside my house and then warmed her up some soup. "Here you go. Eat up. It's good for you." I told her. Quickly she gently pushed the bowl away from her side. "No thank you Mr. Shadow. I'm not very hungry." she whimpered. "You have to eat something to keep up your strength, just eat a few nibbles." I urged her. Eventually, she did eat a few spoonfuls of the soup before pushing it away again.

She didn't do too much after that. I let her watch TV on my couch. But I could tell she wasn't really watching it. I sat down next to her with a cup of hot chocolate, with a bit of whipped cream and cinnamon. Just the way she likes it when I babysit her. "Here, your favorite," I told her. She gently smiled before taking it out of my hands and holding it tight. "Thanks Mr. Shadow." she sighed and took a small sip of it. "You wanna talk about anything?"

Quickly she shook her head and placed the mug on the coffee table in front of us. "I'm just sad right now..." she replied. "I understand Cream. Really I do." I told her.

"Because of Maria?" she asked, her eyes glistening. 

I nodded my head gently, understand the stages of grief all too well. "I'm sorry if I made you sad Mr. Shadow. I just remember you talking about her one time." she apologized. "I'm fine with it Cream. To be honest, it helps me to remember her better." 

We sat on the couch watching more tv, making her laugh a little bit. Sometimes I wondered which ones real versus fake. But I'd do anything to let her smile for even a second. Soon I saw her yawning a whole bunch as the last show ended. "You ready for bed?" I asked

"Yeah! I'm pretty sleepy." she smiled.

"Alright, I guess I'll take you to the bedroom where you'll be sleeping." I instructed. She followed me to where I had my guest bedroom all set up.  "Here you go. I know it's not much. But, I hope you like it. Took me a while to get it all set up." I replied. "Thank you Mr. Shadow! You're the best!" she smiled and hopped onto the bed where she kept bouncing up and down on it. "It's so cool!" Cream then crashed on the fluffy pillows. "Well, I'll be in the next room over. If you need anything, I'm not too far away. Ok?" "Ok! I'll be here!" she smiled. That's when I knew I could leave her for now. I closed the door behind me. Hopefully, she'd have some sweet dreams.

Cream's P.O.V

Mr. Shadow is still the coolest guy I ever met. The bedroom he set up wasn't too bad. But I wish it wasn't such a dark bedroom. Oh well! Maybe I could help him make this place brighter. I sat down properly and looked around the room better, wondering what else could make this place a little happier. "Chew Cha choo." Cheese told me. "I know right, it's not too big and it's not too small if I'm being honest. But it could use more pink, yellow, and green!" I told him. 

Now we're thinking! I thought as I looked around some more and realized what we could change to make everything look better.  As I was thinking about all of this, I was wondering what my mom would've suggested for this room.

Then the reality sunk in again. I sniffed and felt tears start to form. I didn't want to cry but I knew I couldn't hold back anymore. I let didn't let them fall out this time though. I was done crying for the day. I knew I'd have to move on just like my mom would want me to. But why do I want to cry anyway? All I wanted to do was live my life with my mom by my side so she could get me through everything. "Chew Cho chew?" "I'm going to be fine Cheese! I'm just upset right now. I'm just thankful that she left this behind for me!" I smiled. I untucked a necklace from my shirt. It was a heart-shaped necklace with a ruby stone in the middle of it, filling it in. 

Suddenly I remembered something my mom said about it. 

~ Flashback ~

We were picking flowers in the park and enjoying just being together. It was a special moment since she was often away from home trying to provide for the both of us. It was fun being able to see her and spend time doing what mothers and daughters could do. I remember that particular pendant was around her neck that day. "Mom, where did you get that necklace? It looks so pretty!"  

"Oh, this thing? My Grandmother gave me this when I was around your age. I wore this thing necklace all the time, and I swear, it was like I had the power to see when people were in love! I even helped them find the one they loved!" 

"How did you know when someone had feelings for someone else?" 

"Well, I could read their emotions, and I figured out who they liked based on their actions. After that, I was able to sort out a plan to get them to talk! One day, when I'm no longer around, you'll get it. Maybe you can help bring others together! I know you'll do just wonderful!" 

"I would hope so! But you seem like you did a better job. After all, I'm just a regular old rabbit." She smiled at me, setting her flowers down and lifting me up. "You are anything but a regular old rabbit!" 

I laughed and we ended gathering everything we had before going home. "Don't worry Cream, I know you can do the job just as good, if not better, than me! Now, why don't we go home and make soup for dinner?" I smiled taking her hand and we walked home.  

~ End of Flashback ~

I couldn't hold back anymore. I let out a small whine and cried. "Chew Choo Chu..." Cheese reassured me, but it didn't help me at all. I just wish she didn't leave the Earth right away. I went to bed still sniffles and tears. I sobbed silently into the pillow, Cheese gently rubbing the back of my head. "T-Thank y-you for not l-leaving me!" I whimpered. "Chew Choo." he replied.

As I cried, I felt my eyes getting heavier at the same time. I knew I was going to fall asleep at any moment now. Any... moment...