Kageyama

There's nothing more heartbreaking than hearing someone you used to love, lie about how they felt they used to feel when they were once with you.

That was the case with Kageyama.

    Y/N was really close with him all three years of high school to the point where people assumed they were dating. At some point they actually did date but decided to break things off early for the sake of the friendship. It felt like a good decision at the time but Kags deeply regretted it.

    Months after graduating, Kageyama & Y/N still maintained contact but it was difficult with the school and work load. Updates would be seen only through social media since they both couldn't keep up a text conversation to save a life.

     One day on Instagram, y/n decided to post a picture of their new boyfriend, Tsukki. Kageyama found it odd that Y/n never talked to him throughout high school but got closer in university. He didn't think anything about it until that picture... "One month 🤍". That heart ache he once felt when things ended appeared again.

     A relationship? This wasn't even mentioned at least once within the first semester not even a clue or a small update when you guys chatted. It took Kageyama a bit to process way he was looking at but without thinking, he impulsively messaged y/n asking to meet up the next day.

Hey Y/N let's hang out. I need to tell you something he typed .

Sent.

You & Kageyama met up at a cafe close to your campus. He knew y/n had a long break in between two of your classes on Tuesday's which was perfect too. He's waiting anxiously in his chair, bouncing his leg furiously.

Why did I do that?

What was I planning to do now? He thought to himself as he waited.

Y/N walks in & happily waved at Kageyama. He waved back but started to feel his chest tense up. He was nervous.

Y/N sat down in front of him, getting herself acquainted with her seat and grabs the menu to see what she could get "Kags its on me, what do you want?" She cheerfully says while looking down at the menu it's been a while since he saw you and all he could do was stare at how much you've changed since the summer when he last saw you in person. Pictures & videos couldn't capture her beauty in the way he saw her in real life .

"Hello?? Tobio??? You're spacing." she waves at him, lightly tapping the menu on his nose.

He snaps out of his gaze and nods, "oh yeah um don't worry, I ordered a milkshake ahead of time".

Y/N & Kageyama caught up for a bit laughing about high school and updating each other about what was happening in each other's lives...That's when the topic of Tsukki came up. He twiddled his thumbs underneath the table, feeling nervous about asking if you were really happy with him and not just dating a familiar face.

"Tobio your milkshake is going to melt and overflow if you don't drink some of it. Here give me some"
Y/N giggled as she slid the cold drink closer to her, taking the first sip from the untouched straw.

"Oh yeah what was it that you wanted to tell me? I totally forgot about that" she asked.

Again. Heart sank.

Tobio sighed as he put his hands on the table, looking down at his lap,

"were you happy when we were dating?" He asked.

Y/n's eyes fluttered in confusion. She takes the straw out of her mouth and sits back,

"of course? But I thought we valued our friendship more" she said, hesitantly answering the question.

Kageyama finally had the courage to look up at her. His eyes were glossy & his throat ached from holding in the tears that were forming in his eyes. "You're right. That's why we did it" he said, in an attempt to smile. Y/N could feel the tension rising between you two,

"Where is this coming from? Were you happy when we dated briefly?" She questioned him back.

    Kageyama knew he had to be cautious about what he was going to say next. He loved you very much but he wasn't going to get in between her new relationship. But he also couldn't stand to be near Y/N while she was still with Tsukki which broke his heart into pieces, seeing them be happy together. And it was a rare sight seeing him happy too. All that really mattered though was that Y/N was happy & even if Tobio was suffering in silence, at least he knew she was happy when they were together for that short amount of time. It was a tough decision to make in that moment but he knew that in order to get over it, he had to leave her alone...And maybe someday he'd cope with her being happy without him.

"No. I wasn't." He lied.

Y/N felt even more confused with Kags reply,

"You weren't? Well we're just friends now so I guess it turned out the way you wanted but ouch Tobio...I really liked you back then" she nervously giggled, going back to his milkshake.

   Kageyama didn't like what he was about to do next but he had to ensure Y/N's relationship with Tsukki would work out and keep her happy,

"Tobio...? I have a feeling what you're suppose to tell me has terrible timing...Do you still have feelings for me?" She asked.

     Kageyama's eyes shot up, surprised that Y/N got it spot on but for once, he didn't think about himself and thought about Tsukki & how he would feel if someone took Y/N away from him....what if that were to happen to himself too?

   "Tobio..." she called again. Kageyama slammed him hands on the table,

"Y/N I-I don't like you like that. I never did back then and never will. You have a boyfriend now and that's all that matters. I can't be here right now.." he sighed and quickly made it to the door, leaving Y/N dumbfounded as to why Kageyama shifted the mood.

     Months have passed since that day at the cafe. Y/N never heard anything from Kageyama since then and it really bummed her out. Y/N & Tsukki's relationship was going on a downhill spiral which led to a break up but things were still civil between the two. Y/N didn't have much friends & felt that this pain could only be shared with someone really close to her so without any hesitation, she clicked on the first contact on her favourites, Tobio. "Pick up, pick up, pick up" she muttered to herself as the phone rang a couple of times.

    The call went through causing Y/N to physically sit herself up from her bed,

"Tobio! Hey I-" but she was quickly interrupted by another person's voice that wasn't him,

"Hello? Are you calling for Tobio?" she answered. Y/N's mood shifted,

"Yeah...Who's this?" she asked.

"Kageyama's girlfriend? Mia? He's showering right now but I'll let him know you called!"

"No no it's okay don't do that, I just answered my own problem...It was just a question from our lecture! Nice meeting you!" she responded and hung up the phone.

   Y/N was now stuck in the same position Kageyama once was months ago...

___

   Sorry had to do a little bit of a shift from the happy stories to balance the NSFW & soft imagines!

     I mentioned this back in my first one shots book where I would be limiting my time on my accounts for the sake of my mental health! I've been slow on the content lately but with school now coming back in the picture, I just want to adjust before I write daily again.

     I still post every now and then, just not how I used to. I don't want to lose my interest in writing stories for you guys so please be patient with me, I'm trying my best!