thirty four

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 !

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

     Nova's day started out like any other. She had woken up in a fairly cheerful mood after being on FaceTime with Corpse the previous night. Before getting out of bed, the purple-haired girl scrolled on her phone for about an hour until she forced her body to get up. 

     After taking a quick shower and getting dressed, Nova made herself a bowl of cereal and sat at her kitchen island. While eating, she scrolled on her phone more, responding to a couple Tweets and liking comments on her Instagram. 

     Her day changed when she received a phone call from someone she hated the most in the entire world. Someone she hadn't spoken to ever since moving away from her childhood home. Her verbally and physically abusive mom.

     When Nova moved out a couple months previously, she vowed to keep contact with both her mother and father limited. After all, her anxiety, which she found out she had at a young age, stemmed from their mistreatment. So, while her phone rang and showed the call screen, Nova stared at it until it sent her mother to voicemail. 

     Nova almost sighed in relief until her mother called again after a couple seconds. Knowing she would be berated for not answering quick enough, Nova took a few seconds to collect herself before pressing the accept call button.

     Immediately, her mother went off. "What the hell was taking you so long to answer?" 

     "It's nice to talk to you too..." Nova mumbled, trailing off. 

     "What did you say?" Her mother questioned, obviously trying to find something else to harass her about. 

     "Nothing, sorry," Nova immediately said, trying not to get into any more trouble than she was already in. She knew that if her mother was calling, something was up.

     "Whatever. I don't have time to talk to you all day," Nova's mom said sassily. "I've heard that you recently got a boyfriend."

     "Yeah... what about him?"

     "You need to break up with him immediately."

     "Why?!" Nova asked, obviously bewildered at the request. She liked Corpse and he made her extremely happy. Nova wouldn't let her mother take away her joy yet again.

     "Well, you two had a little fight, did you not?" Her mother interrogated. How does she know that? Nova thought.

     "Um..." Nova trailed off, very confused at how she gained that information. 

     "Actually, I don't need to really ask. I already know what happened. This little boyfriend of yours obviously isn't a good person. So, me and your father want you to end your relationship. Or else."

     "Or else what?" Nova backtalked her mom, knowing there would be consequences but willing to fight to keep her and Corpse together.

     "Nova, you seem to forget that we pay for half of your rent. Stay in a relationship with this toxic boy and you'll see an end to that aid," Nova's mother said confidently, flaunting the amount of power she had over her daughter. 

     Immediately, tears pricked Nova's eyes as she thought over the situation and her options. Stay with Corpse and she would be homeless or break up with Corpse and lose her happiness. Both options sucked. Royally. 

     Her mom's voice broke her thoughts. "I've got to get going. Let me know by tomorrow your decision. Bye bye."

     With the sound of her mom hanging up, Nova dropped her phone, probably cracking it on the counter. But she couldn't find it in her to care. My life sucks, Nova thought. What am I gonna do?

     Part of Nova couldn't believe her parents would do something like this to her. But then, part of her could believe it. After seeing the type of people they were in her childhood, she knew they would do anything to control her.

     Then, she thought about how her parents found out about Corpse, yet alone their fight. The only person I told... Nova thought. Then it hit her. Levi.

     Why would he rat me out? Nova thought. He knows how they are. He literally hates them. Why would he do this? Does he hate me after I kinda abandoned him?

     Nova had more questions than answers. And she didn't know if twenty four hours gave her enough time to figure out her decision.