Whispers In The Dark

Hilltop was quiet as Harper, Elijah, and I's wagon drove through the gates. Jesus instantly greeted us and helped everyone down as he called out for people to help stable Lafayette. "We've missed you," Jesus smiled.

"It's been a few days," I insisted.

"Well, it feels like longer." I looked over at Lafayette as he was released from the wagon by Edwardo.

"Hey," I smiled.

"Hey," Eduardo smiled back, allowing his stare to linger until Lafayette sighed with frustration over the fact that he hasn't been fed yet. Eduardo instantly jumped at the sound and laughed nervously.

"Lafayette, where are your manners?"

"I, uh...I better go feed him."

"Yeah, he won't shut up until he's fed." Eduardo instantly nodded and led Lafayette over to the stables in silence.

"Well, that was...interesting," Jesus smirked.

"Oh, shut up," I laughed. "Ya can't fool me, I already squeezed that pimple of a husband of yours."

"It was all his idea."

"I know, and I agreed to give it a go, but don't expect any good to come of it."

"I hold only neutral hopes," Jesus laughed. "Come on, let's get you settled in." I followed Jesus inside and, much to my relief, was led to Rick and Michonne's old room; Elijah ditched as soon as we got inside the building. "Elijah seems upset, is everything alright?"

"He's mad that I let Harper see Negan," I answered as I sat our bags down.

"You do?"

"It was her choice. Avoidin' 'em was gonna be impossible, so I let 'er decide whether or not she was okay with 'em seein' 'er or not."

"And she chose to meet him?" I gently nodded. "And how do you feel about it?"

"Well, he's only seen 'er a few times, nothin' too long, but so far everythin' seems alright. I get why he's upset, but we all gotta move on, Jesus. MJ knows and he's fine with it."

"Yeah, but Elijah isn't MJ." Jesus placed his hand on my shoulder and smiled. "Don't worry, he won't stay mad at you forever, he loves you too much."

"Thanks." I sighed and turned to Harper. "Ready to go see Tammy while I go work?" Harper nodded and took my hand and followed me down the stairs and outside. We looked around for a moment and found Tammy over by the stables where Earl was working.

"I was wondering when you'd bring her to me," Tammy smiled. "I missed you, Harper."

"Harper, mind your manners," I instructed.

"I missed you, too." Harper smiled.

"Sorry to drop in on ya like this, but I gotta go see Siddiq and get to work, would ya mind watchin' 'er and Elijah?"

"You know I never mind," Tammy smiled even bigger. "Where is Elijah anyways?"

"He's mad at me, so he's somewhere around here."

"Well, when I find him, I'll be sure to keep an eye on him."

"Thanks."

"Meow." I looked down and smiled as Sassy trotted over to me.

"Well, hello there, my beautiful Sassy girl." Sassy instantly rubbed against my legs. "Wanna come with me, sweetie?"

"Meoooow." I bent over and gently stroked her head before patting my leg, causing her to follow me in silence. I entered the infirmary just as Enid and Siddiq were finishing packing up.