High Horse

Maggie put me straight to work after the council meeting. She wouldn't tell me everything they discussed since I'm no longer in the council, but she did inform me of my job duties they all agreed on. Seeing that I only have one hand, they decided that gardening would be a good fit. I would've rather been in the infirmary with Siddiq, but that's where Enid was. I had been replaced by a child all because she had two fucking hands. Still, being in garden duty gave me more time to spend with Harper.

I worked up a sweat in the scorching heat, but it was with it. After I finished my duties, I was free to relax the rest of the day. And by relax, I mean take care of Harper. Daryl watched her while I worked, but he and the others were making a run to DC today, so it was gonna be a Mommy-Daughter day.

"Babe?" I called out as I entered the bedroom.

"I'm in the shower!" Daryl answered back.

"About time, too." I chuckled and walked over to the crib where Harper was holding herself up in a standing position.

"Mama! Mama!" Harper cooed with excitement before falling back and landing on her butt.

"Well, at least someone's excited to see me." I smiled. "Mommy would hold ya, but I smell like shit and dirt." Harper slowly used the crib rails to help herself stand up once more. "You're Mama's lil' heartbreaker, huh?"

"Ain't that the truth." Daryl chuckled as he entered the room. "Caught Hershel eyeballin' 'er today."

"Already bein' protective over boys?"

"Hell yeah, she ain't daitin' until she's in her forties."

"Yeah, but then you'll be too old and crotchety to hold your grand babies by then."

"I ain't gonna be no grandpa." Daryl chuckled and gently kissed my cheek. "Ya make beautiful babies."

"Yeah? Well, I had a lil' help."

"Humph. If she looks anythin' like me, she's in trouble."

"Oh, don't be like that. You're gorgeous, baby."

"So are you." Daryl kissed my cheek once more, but slowly moved down to my neck and then my collar bone.

"Daryl..." I protested, causing Daryl to sigh, "I'm sorry."

"Why? What did I do wrong?"

"Ya didn't do anythin' wrong."

"Is it because of—"

"It has nothin' to do with Negan."

"Then what is it? We've barely done anythin' since Harper was born...since Joseph..."

"I know...I'm just...I'm not there all the way yet, Daryl. I know you've accepted what happened and have done your best to move on, I'm not sayin' you're over it, but you're dealin' with it better than I am. I'll get there, I know I will...but I just...I just wanna take things slow. I'm sorry."

"Don't be." Daryl sighed. "I know ya had problems copin' with it, ya still do. Ya carried 'em for months, had high expectations, had dreams of bein' a happy family. We will be...one day. For now, I'm just happy the way we are. It'd be better if Joseph was here, but I've got my wife and daughter with me. It's not a perfect family, but it's my family, and I ain't givin' it up for nothin'." Daryl gently kissed me on the lips. "I love you, ya know that, right?"

"I love you, too." I softly smiled. "I'm sorry, I should be more...open towards ya, more affectionate, especially with that run you're goin' on with Rick and the others."

"Don't worry about it, we'll be fine. Ya take all the time ya need, I'm not goin' anywhere."

"And Jadis is absolutely sure about this place, right?"