Carl's Bridge

The woods were quiet for the most part, the sound of distant sawing and hammering echoing off the trees being the only thing that permeated the still afternoon air. What I would give for a bit of fresh air. Today had to be one of the hottest days since starting this bridge project, and everyone could feel it. When I made quick trips back to camp for a drink or a restroom break, I often heard people arguing over stupid shit; it just had to be the heat getting to people because I don't remember the last time how someone chopped potatoes ever warranted a screaming match. Still, it wasn't my place to intervene, so I left it be and went about my day.

I've been on boarder security for at least five hours, only checking in when necessary, which was rarely ever. If I saw a walker, I killed it with my knife prosthetic, but in the five hours I've been here, I've only seen the two. It's strange, really. You'd figure that all this construction would draw more, but it hasn't phased them any, by the looks of it. It made me wonder what was keeping them. Were they stuck? Was the walker numbers down? Or did we have a herd heading our way? I made a mental note to talk to Rick and Eugene when I returned for my lunch.

A twig snapped in the distance, causing me to stop in my tracks. I listened very carefully, but the movement stopped. "Not a walker," I thought to myself. I slowly made my way towards the sound, carefully surveying the area with every step. The sound was too loud to be a small animal, telling me that I was looking for either a large animal...or a human. Was it another walk-off? A deer? A wanderer? Another twig snapped, but this time, it sounded really close. I quickly turned towards it and froze at the quick flash of light blue ducking behind a large thicket.

"Who's there?" I called out. "I saw ya hidin' over there, ya best c'mon out and talk this out like adults." The woods remained silent. "I ain't gonna hurt ya, if that's what you're thinkin', but if I gotta go get your ass, that might just change." After a few moments of silence, I slowly crept towards the thicket, my knife prosthetic at the ready. I reached out towards the small limbs and pushed them back, but no one was there. Where did they go?

"Michaela," I gentle hand grabbed my shoulder and, out of reaction, I swung back in a panic with my knife, narrowly missing Rick's chest. "Jesus!"

"Shit, I'm sorry, Rick!" I exclaimed. "Ya scared the fuck outta me."

"Yeah, same here." Rick looked his shirt over and sighed. "What are ya doin'?"

"I heard somethin', so I went to check it out."

"Walker?"

"No, their movements are too organized. They made a noise and they stopped for a moment, like they knew I was there and knew I heard 'em."

"Maybe it's an animal."

"I saw somethin' about your height over here, somethin' light blue. I know we've had some walk-offs recently, so maybe it's a Savior."

"And you're sure you ain't hallucinatin'? I know ya haven't been on any medication lately." I shook my head. "Alright, I'll run it by Arat and see if she's noticed anyone missin'." Rick looked the area over and sighed. "I'm sorry for always puttin' ya on security detail, it's just some don't think it's a good idea to have ya out on the bridge with 'em, think ya might fall back on old habits."

"I get it," I softly smiled. "Don't worry, Rick, I don't take it personally, I just wish I could see the bridge is all. I bet it's comin' along great."

"It is," Rick nodded. "Should be done in a few days." Rick fell silent. "Go see for yourself."

"I thought people didn't want me to fall back on old habits?"

"Who's in charge here?" Rick smirked. "I was just roundin' people up for lunch, maybe you'd be so kind as to tell the bridge workers it's time to eat?"