Demotion

Dear Children,

     Aunt Maggie started a journal for her son, she suggested I should, too. I just want you to have something to remember me by. A man once told me 'in this world, you kill or you die, or you die and you kill'. I didn't believe him in the beginning, but now I know he was right. In this world now, we sometimes have to do things we're not proud of just to survive, and, sometimes, other people do, too.

     We've lost so many people over the years, people who would've loved to meet you. A grandfather, fathers, mothers, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, even children. We've lost so many people, and we continue to heal from our losses every day. We never forgot about them, we carry them on in our hearts. I can't wait until I can tell you about them. One day I'll tell you stories about how we all met. Believe it or not, the world wasn't always this way, it was better... much better.

     There were restaurants, schools, libraries, public transportation, hospitals, a government. I wish you could've seen it. One day you will. The piles of rubble that were once buildings, they will stand high once again. The government that had fallen years ago, it will rise to power under a new world order. Everything, monuments to everything we have achieved, everything we have and will overcome, will be ours. Why? Because we will make it so.

     The war was a stepping stone in the right direction. An unnecessary one, but it'll always be remembered as the New World War, the war that brought peace, the war that brought us all together. One day, when you're older, I'll tell you about that war. I'll tell you about how I lost my hand, how you two came to be, why there's a man in a jail cell. As you get older, I hope you'll understand that everything we've done, everything we do is for the greater good. And everything I do is for you. So you two can grow up safe, have as normal of a life as possible.

     I haven't even met you two, but I know that the love I have for you is strong. I never thought I could love someone so much. I am so grateful to have you in my life and can't wait until the day I get to hold you. I can't wait until I get to rock you to sleep, teach you how to walk, how to read, how to fight. But most importantly, I can't wait until you are ready for me to pass the torch.

     Every day, we are never guaranteed a tomorrow, it's just the way life is. One day, I won't be here, neither will your dad. We want you to be ready for that day no matter what because that day will come. One day you will inherit this world and what we made it into. One day the dead will no longer walk the earth. One day this world will be yours. You have to be ready for that day. The future depends on you and all the children that is to come. It depends on you to keep this world going, to pass on the knowledge that we pass on to you. Educate the world, show it how to survive. Give it the will to keep going.

     The future is yours for the taking. Embrace it. Conquer it. Make this world better than it ever was.

Love Always,
Mom

The sun seemed to rise earlier than expected, I could hear everyone outside making the necessary repairs to the Hilltop's walls from the molotovs Oceanside threw at the Saviors. I'm still unsure on how many people we lost that day, how many Saviors we lost. For the past few days, people have been teaming up to repair the communities. Alexandria, of course, needing the most repairs, followed by the Sanctuary. The Kingdom didn't need any repairs, though it did need cleaned from when Morgan killed Gavin and an apparent fire that Ezekiel started.

No one has heard from Morgan since he left, we all hope he's doing okay on his own. We want him to come back, but me, of all people, know what it's like to need to get away from everything. I want him to come back, but I know he'll only come back when he's ready, and we'll be here with open arms when he does.Negan is still recovering in the infirmary, Saddiq said he's doing great and should be fully healed by the time the jail is rebuilt. They decided to turn it back into a regular jail, but different. The jail will still be in the basement, but the house on top will be for those who are keeping guard of the jail, but who is still undecided. A lot of things have remained undecided, like, what will happen to the Saviors, what community will be in charge of what, how we will run the new world.