eleven

Evie's View:

"The food is wonderful Mrs. Clair" I smiled glancing at Sasha, Valentina's mother.

"Thank you" the two women said in union.

I giggled as both of Valentina's moms glared at each other. Each having the same temper and attitude that their daughter had.

"She was talking to me" Sasha said to her wife. "La mujer está loca ... pensando que hizo todo el trabajo" she mumbled under her breath, cutting into the food on her plate.

"I heard that Sasha" Gia warned before taking a sip of her wine.

"Hey! We're trying to have dinner.. can you two not?" Valentina snapped looking between her moms.

Sasha and Gia gave an apologetic look to me and continued eating.

"So Evie, I hear you teach my two grand babies. Is being a teacher something you've always wanted to do?" Gia asked.

I wiped my mouth with my napkin, clearing my throat before speaking.

"Um yes ma'am. I've always loved children and working with them. I was in foster care until I was 18 so I would always play with the younger kids and teach them things or help them with their homework" I said side eyeing Valentina.

She had stopped eating and watched me intently.

"Oh.. foster care. Well, I'm glad it helped you discover your passion and future career" Gia said nervously taking another sip of her wine.

I smiled uncomfortably and looked back down to my plate.

The doorbell rang echoing through the house causing everyone to look towards the hallway.

"That must be the rest of our guests" Sasha said standing from the table as she exited the dining room.

"Mom.. what guests?" Valentina asked narrowing her eyes.

"Your mother and I invited Bella and her family over" Gia said.

Valentina's eyes went wide and her attention turned to the archway of the dining room as a group of people walked in.

"Happy Thanksgiving!" An older woman said hugging Gia who stood up to greet her guests.

I cleared my throat as I stopped eating. I felt awkward and out of place being in a room full of people I barely knew.

Valentina remained seated quickly downing back her wine. I frowned at this wondering who this Bella girl was that had her so frazzled.

"Happy Thanksgiving Valentina.." a pretty brunette appeared from behind the rest.

Valentina forced a smile greeting the brunette named Bella.

"Hi munchkins" the woman said kissing the top of the twins heads. The girls said hi but we're too busy scarfing down their food.

Their cherub faces covered in the last bits of mac and cheese that their grandmas spoiled them with for dinner. Cherishing every last bite with wide grins and occasionally patting their mouths with the edges of their napkins. Their small efforts of using their manners while still being silly kids made me smile. 

"Oh.. I didn't know you'd be having someone else over" Bella said looking down at me.

I smiled uncomfortably shifting in my chair. Valentina defensively put a hand on the side of it looking up at Bella daring her to say something. I tried avoiding the conversation by taking a drink of my water.

"She's my guest. Your seat is over by one of my moms" Valentina said in a snippy tone.

"Still feisty as ever.." Bella chuckled as she walked towards her seat on the other side of the table.