thirty four

Evie's view:

I was helping to look for Sophia but couldn't find her anywhere. I ran after Valentina until I saw her stop and stare at Sophia's door.

She went inside so I followed right behind in a rush. When I made it to the doorway I gasped seeing Nani and Vivi in the room near Sophia.

Everyone was just staring at each other in silence at this point.

"Mommy?"

Sophia looked at Valentina questionably. "What's wrong? You look worried."

Valentina remained speechless so I walked up behind her, placing my hand on her lower back letting her know I was there.

"Nothing is wrong, Sophia. Girls.. give Sophia her teddy back and come with me. You shouldn't be bothering the patients." I said ushering the twins out of the room.

"But the little girl was out in the hallway and wanted to play so we said yes. Why can't we play with her?" Vivi asked pouting as she grabbed my hand.

"Yeah.. and why did she call our mommy her mommy?" Nani questioned with suspicion.

I chuckled nervously and continued to rush them out quick before Sophia could hear anything they were saying.

I closed the door behind me, leading Nani and Vivi to the cafeteria nearby.

We all grabbed something to eat since it was dinner time and sat down at one of the tables.

The twins ate their food but couldn't help themselves from staring at me. Waiting for answer to their questions from earlier.

I took in several deep breaths trying to calm my anxiety. But the strong smells of bleach and rubbing alcohol filled my nose made it difficult.

"Evie.. who was that girl? She called our mommy her mommy and that's not her mommy! She's ours!" Nani said angrily making a similar face to Valentina.

Again I nervously laughed and avoided the questioned by taking a long sip of my drink.

My phone buzzed and I glanced at it seeing a text from Valentina.

From: Val 🖤🥺
Tell them. We have no choice now. Sophia knows who they are and I can't deny her from seeing her sisters during a time like this.

My eyes widened a little at the text and then softened as I read her words.

To: Val 🖤🥺
I will.. are you okay? I rushed out of there and couldn't ask.

We're eating right now in the cafeteria so, once they finish up I will head up there. I won't tell them everything but I'll say enough for it to make sense to their 5 yr old minds.

From: Val 🖤🥺
I'm fine, and ok.. they better not be eating fucking Mac and cheese or sugar, Evie.. I swear!

I giggled looking at her text and replied back playfully before setting my phone down.

Nani was finishing up the broccoli on her plate and Vivi was taking a long sip from her juice box. I smiled softly watching them.

"So I guess I owe you girls some answers huh?"

They both looked to me and nodded their heads. Oddly enough, both raising the same eyebrow too.

"Well.. the little girl you met upstairs, her name is Sophia and she's very sick right now. So she can't play like you two can, at the moment." I explained answering Vivi's question first.

"Oh, well will she get better soon so we can play next time?" Vivi asked setting her juice down.

I shrugged my shoulders.