thirty six

A few weeks later...

Evie's view:

I got ready for my day to start as Sasha, one of Valentina's moms, settled into the couch near the window.

After finding out Sophia would be in a medically induced coma until she could breath properly on her own. Valentina and I ended up spending way more time by her bedside than anyone anticipated.

It began to affect Valentina's job and parenting back at home. She still had the twins to look after but I understood that it was hard for her to balance everything while another one of her kids is in the hospital sick.

Addie and I began falling behind on bills considering I hadn't been working.

My PTO was already running out and I had to go back to work. I couldn't be out for the rest of the year, that wasn't fair to the kids in my class.

So, Valentina's moms agreed to taking turns in watching over Sophia at least until Valentina or I got out of work.

Valentina wasn't too fond of the idea at first. Mostly due to the grudge she still holds against her parents that involves Sophia.

I didn't blame her.

I said my goodbyes to Sophia and then to Sasha before heading out to drive to work.

The day Valentina and I found out about Sophia's current condition, it took her some time to calm down. But eventually Valentina came around and talked it out with me. We both cried together, depending on each other for support during this rough patch of bad news.

Since then we've grown closer and our communication has been on point. Sometimes we didn't even need to speak to know how the other felt.

All it took was a glance or a smile to figure it out.

I parked my car in the school parking lot and then got out with my things. Sending Valentina a quick text to let her know I'm at work and that I loved her.

Our engagement I feel like has really influenced our greater communication skills. We've learned to work together better as a team for the girls and for each other.

One good morning text and goodnight text is so simple but so reassuring. We've come to learn this in the past weeks since sometimes we have to spend time apart due to work and other life situations that pop up.

"Good morning, Miss Love!" The secretary greeted me as I walked through the front doors.

"Good morning to you too, Mrs. Fairfield" I greeted back with a small smile.

Ever since I've come back to work people have been extra nice and helpful when they see me.

To me it's just pity, which I didn't like.

When I arrived to my classroom Taylor was already there setting up the kids tables with their morning snack.

"Hey girl! Good morning."

"Morning Tay," I sighed putting my things away and fixing my hair.

"Uh oh.. I'm guessing someone's already said something to you," Taylor said standing up straight from bending over at the tables.

I furrowed my brows looking at her with a questionable expression.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The email..? Did you not see it?" Taylor asked cautiously.

I shook my head slowly and Taylor's eyes widened a little. "Oh.. well someone sent a mass email out of the photos of you from the photoshoot you did. They made it seem like they were a concerned parent or something and continuously bashed you for the photos."