CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE (Finale)

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

‘And that nightmare of a housekeeper,’ Lady Daphne asked crisply. ‘What has become of her?’

     She was seated in the study looking at Cedric as he stood at the window gazing out over the lawns.

     It was strange, he was thinking, how, since his father’s funeral a month ago, peace and serenity had settled over the house. Even the air tasted sweeter and the atmosphere as light as a summer’s day.

     ‘Cedric! What of Mrs Gilbert?’ 

     Shaken out of his reverie, he turned to her. ‘She should have been brought to book for her part in the whole terrible affair,’ he agreed. ‘But since Richard and others thought it best to save the family from humiliation, the truth was covered up, and so she went unpunished.’

     ‘Uumph!’

     Cedric smothered a smile. His sister-in-law obviously disapproved of such leniency.

     ‘She was punished, in a way,’ he continued. ‘Her son killed her dreams. She has been sent to live in Cardiff on a small stipend.’

     ‘Well, enough of her,’ Lady Daphne remarked emphatically.

     ‘I understand you are leaving for London tomorrow?’ he said, sitting down behind his father’s desk; his desk now, he reminded himself.

     Lady Daphne beamed. ‘I’m so glad you agreed to let Melissa come to me there. There will be balls and parties and new gowns for her; not to mention the adoring beaus. I know she’ll enjoy it all.’

     Cedric smiled. ‘I’m certain of it. That’s all she talks about now.’

     ‘She’ll do the Season,’ Lady Daphne continued happily. ‘She’ll be presented. The young men will cluster, of course, but I’ll see to it that she aims her sights high; an Earl or even a Marquis.’

     ‘I know I can trust you to keep her safe,’ he said.

     There was a moment of silence between them.

     ‘About Pricilla,’ his sister-in-law said firmly. ‘I advise that she remain here with her tutor for at least two more years. Then, it will be finishing school in Italy for a few years before she can be presented, too.’

     ‘You are very good to take such trouble over my daughters,’ Cedric told her.

     ‘Cedric, they are my nieces; Cynthia’s daughters, too,’ she said sadly. ‘I must do for them that which Cynthia would not.’

     ‘And I am so grateful to you.’

     She rose to her feet, patted down her skirts, and he rose too. She walked to the study door, opened it and then paused, looking back at him.

     ‘When will you and Rosalind Trevellian be married?’

      He was taken aback.

     ‘No firm date has been set,’ he said carefully. ‘Rosalind insists that we must wait at least a year before our intentions are made known.’

     ‘That is wise, but I fear you will find the wait irksome.’

     ‘Rosalind is adamant. Acting in haste will draw gossip.’

     She nodded but remained silent.

     ‘Daphne, do you disapprove of the marriage?’