CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Rosalind and Mrs Jowett were in the kitchen as Linda came stumbling in. The girl’s face was white and she was trembling visibly.

‘Whatever is the matter, girl?’ Mrs Jowett asked. ‘You look like you’ve seen a ghost.’

‘Who has called?’ Rosalind asked, going towards Linda who looked as though she might faint. ‘What has upset you?’

Linda gripped the edge of the table to support herself. ‘The curate is in the house,’ she answered in a low voice. ‘And us having no men to protect us.’

‘I know you dislike Mr Tucker,’ Mrs Jowett said with a chuckle. ‘And I don’t blame you, but he can’t harm us and why should he?’

Linda stared at her, her eyes very wide and frightened. ‘You don’t know what I know,’ she said. She turned her wide gaze on Rosalind. ‘Oh, Roz, I’m so sorry.’

Rosalind put an arm around the girl’s trembling shoulders. ‘What have you to be sorry about?’

‘I should have spoken up, but I was mortally afraid after Mrs Gilbert...threatened me.’

‘She did what?’ Mrs Jowett exclaimed and stopped rolling out the pastry.

Rosalind pulled out a chair from the table and Linda sat down.

‘I overheard her and him in her parlour some weeks ago, they were planning...’ Her voice caught in a sob. ‘They were planning to harm Roz. Mrs Gilbert caught me listening. She told me harm would come to me too, if I told anyone.’

Linda gripped Rosalind’s hand. ‘Forgive me, Roz. In my cowardice I let it happen. When you were attacked on the cliff path I was sure it was Joshua Tucker.’ She sobbed again. ‘He’s evil, Roz, evil.’

‘And he’s in the house now,’ Mrs Jowett said querulously. She hoisted the floury rolling pin above her shoulder. ‘Just let him come in here, that’s all,’ she said. ‘Just let him!’

Rosalind was silent for a moment. She remembered the watchman’s questions about her attacker. She was uncertain then, but now she was sure.

‘Who did Mr Tucker ask to see?’ Rosalind asked.

‘He asked for Sir Leopold and he...he referred to the master as his father.’

‘Oh, the shame of it!’ Mrs Jowett exclaimed, obviously scandalised. ‘It has always been said in the village that Mrs Gilbert had an illegitimate son by the master. Can he be the curate?’

‘Mrs Jowett, I think we must go to the study now,’ Rosalind said. ‘Mr Tucker must not be allowed to roam freely in the house. We have Lady Daphne and the girls to think about.’

‘The master will not thank us for interfering,’ Mrs Jowett said doubtfully.

‘Then I will go alone,’ Rosalind determined. ‘I am not afraid of Joshua Tucker. A man who hides his face to do mischief is a coward.’

Mrs Jowett and Linda protested at this reckless plan, but Rosalind was determined, and left to kitchen to go through the long passage towards the front of the house. She pushed through the green baize door and stepped into the hall.

She listened for a moment but there was only silence. Gathering her courage she walked quietly toward the door of the study. It was slightly ajar. Tentatively, she pushed it opened and stepped into the room.

The first thing she saw was Joshua Tucker at the desk, obviously searching through the desk drawers. He straightened and looked at her as she came in.