CHAPTER TWELVE (Part One)

When Cedric Trevellian returned home later that day his daughters were waiting in the hall.

‘Oh Papa, Papa! Something dreadful has happened.’

Both girls rushed into his arms in great distress. At the sudden rush of warmth and relief on seeing him Rosalind had the urge to do likewise, but with self-control she stood at the foot of the staircase waiting, chiding herself at the depth of her feelings for him, a married man.

     ‘Papa, Uncle Jonathan has died,’ Melissa told him tearfully. ‘We never had a chance to ask about Mama.’

     Cedric appeared tired from travelling but at the dreadful news his features took on a haggard look. He turned his glance towards Rosalind.

     ‘When did this happen, Rosalind?’ he asked in a low voice, hugging his daughters tightly to his chest.

     ‘In the early hours,’ Rosalind told him sombrely. ‘Dr McCloud attended him, but there was nothing he could do.’

He looked so stricken she could not bring herself to tell him of the great pain Jonathan had suffered beforehand.

     ‘My father...’

     ‘He hasn’t returned yet,’ Rosalind said. ‘Mr Jonathan has been brought from the cottage to the house. Dr McCloud thought it proper and Mrs Phipps has been discharged. With no groom available Mr Brice Thomas kindly offered to take her in the trap back to Swansea.’

     ‘Brice has been a tower of strength in your absence, Papa,’ Melissa said with a sideways glance at Rosalind. ‘I don’t know what we would have done without him.’

     ‘Brice saved Rosalind’s...’

     ‘Be quiet, Pricilla!’ Melissa interrupted quickly. ‘Papa doesn’t want to be bothered with trivialities now.’ 

     ‘I must talk to the doctor,’ Cedric said in a distracted tone. He eased the girls away from him although they tried to cling on desperately. ‘Please, my dears,’ Cedric said gently. ‘I know you’re distressed but there are matters to be attended to immediately.’

     Rosalind moved forward and put an arm around each girl to lead them to the comfort of the drawing room. Meekly, Melissa allowed herself to be led away much to Rosalind’s surprise, while Pricilla clung to her weeping.

     ‘Oh, Mel!’ Pricilla cried out. ‘Do you think Mama is also dead?’

     ‘No! No, I won’t believe it,’ Melissa exclaimed quickly.

     Her face was red and blotchy with so much weeping and Rosalind’s heart went out to her despite her previous hostility. She was keenly reminded of the pain of loss she had suffered when her beloved father passed away.

     It was some time later when they heard Sir Leopold’s deep tones in the hall. Both girls rushed out to him with Rosalind in their wake. Cedric was already there giving his father the tragic news. Rosalind saw the older man’s features harden.

     ‘So, it had ended at last.’

     ‘Father!’ Cedric exclaimed. ‘How can you be so unmoved? Your eldest son is dead.’

      Sir Leopold’s expression was cold. ‘Jonathan died for me a long time ago when he brought disgrace to this family,’ he said. ‘I shall not grieve now.’

     ‘Father!’ Cedric looked shocked.

     ‘Grandfather!’ Melissa cried out. ‘Where is my mother? We must find her.’

     ‘It would be better if you forget her,’ Sir Leopold said harshly. ‘She would not be welcome in this house. Jonathan was not alone in blame. I forbid her name to be mentioned in this house in future.’

     Both girls looked at him in dismay, clearly wounded to the heart.

     ‘Father, I think that is harsh,’ Cedric said angrily. ‘Why punish my daughters? They are innocent victims.’

     Sir Leopold turned away his expression cold. ‘I have business to see to,’ he said curtly. ‘I don’t want to be disturbed.’

     ‘But, Father, we must discuss Jonathan’s funeral arrangements. I’ll send to Swansea for the undertakers.’

     ‘No!’ Sir Leopold rounded on his son. ‘There’ll be no funeral as such. Let Jonathan lie in a pauper’s grave. It’s what he has brought on himself.’

     ‘But, Sir Leopold!’ Rosalind could not refrain from speaking up, no matter what it might cost her. ‘That will draw further scandal on the Trevellian name. The whole county must know by now that Mr Jonathan has returned. A fitting funeral will be expected.’

     ‘How dare you speak of scandal to me,’ Sir Leopold barked at her. ‘You are no more than a disgraced servant.’

     Rosalind was angry but strove to hide it. He knew well enough that the charges against her were no more than a tissue of lies otherwise he would never have allowed her to return to the house, yet he persisted in throwing the matter in her face. But she must not think of herself at this moment.

Rosalind straightened her spine and lifted her head to look him directly in the eyes without fear.

‘I’m thinking of your granddaughters, sir. More scandal will ruin their futures. You must see that. To ignore Mr Jonathan’s death will play into the hands of gossipmongers.’

     ‘Rosalind is right, Father,’ Cedric spoke up loudly. ‘You can’t allow my brother, a Trevellian, to go to a pauper’s grave. I am the one he injured when he stole my wife but I have forgiven him. Why can’t you?’

     Pricilla rushed to her grandfather and clutched at his arm.

     ‘Please, Grandfather!’

     He looked down on her tender upturned face and his anger seemed to abate a little. ‘Very well, then,’ he said. ‘For my granddaughters’ sake I will agree. But mark this. It will be a family affair only. I’ll not have notoriety turning it into a country fayre.’

     ‘I will see to it immediately, Father,’ Cedric said. ‘And thank you.’

     Sir Leopold marched off to his study. Cedric turned to Rosalind. ‘Look after my girls for me,’ he said simply. ‘I must now busy myself with family matters.’ He paused and unexpectedly reached for her hand. ‘You are a great comfort, Rosalind and I’m grateful for your dedication to my daughters’ welfare.’

     Rosalind felt overcome at the touch of her hand in his, and was unable to answer. She could not help flushing and hoped her face did not give away her emotions. She would not want him to know how she felt about him.