CHAPTER FOURTEEN (Part One)

The day of Jonathan Trevellian’s funeral dawned with a sparkle as befits the first day of July and was at odds with the deep gloom of the household.

     Rosalind had hardly finished washing and dressing before Linda appeared at her door with a summons from Sir Leopold. She was to attend him immediately.

     It was with some apprehension that she went down to his study. As she knocked and opened the door she heard the sharp tones of Lady Daphne inside.

     ‘It is outrageous, Sir Leopold,’ Lady Daphne was saying loudly. ‘My sister is banished to a woodman’s cottage.’

     Seeing Rosalind in the doorway he waved her further into the room. She stood passively before his desk wondering why he had involved her in this very private family matter.

‘My daughter-in-law went voluntarily, as I understand it,’ Sir Leopold answered gruffly. ‘Before her disgrace she spent many hours there. She lacks no comfort.’

     ‘She is alone, without even a maid in attendance. Is this how you treat my family, sir? I warn you, Lord Greystone will be much displeased.’

     ‘I care not a fig for your husband’s displeasure, madam,’ Sir Leopold barked. ‘Either Cynthia remains at the cottage until she is ready to leave us or she departs immediately. I leave that to her.’

     ‘Ooh!’ Lady Daphne raised a lace handkerchief to her nose and mouth. The gesture gave the appearance of her being upset but her eyes visible above the handkerchief were as hard as marble. ‘Then you will do nothing?’

     ‘On the contrary,’ Sir Leopold said. ‘She shall have an attendant. Miss Trevellian here is companion to my granddaughter. She will remain at the cottage with my daughter-in-law as long as is necessary.’

     Lady Daphne gave Rosalind an all-enveloping glance. ‘She must do, I suppose.’ Her tone was begrudging.

     ‘Perhaps you will leave us, Lady Daphne while I instructed Miss Trevellian in her duties.’

     With a gathering up of her taffeta skirts Lady Daphne sailed out slamming the door behind her.

     Sir Leopold growled something under breath and then sat back in his chair appraising Rosalind.

     ‘I want you to attend my daughter-in-law, you understand,’ he said. ‘I expect you to act as maid and cook. Mrs Trevellian will not sit at table here.’

     ‘Yes, sir,’ Rosalind said, giving a little curtsey sensing that he expected it.

     ‘But that’s not all. Kitchen gossip being what it is I believe you know all that has passed concerning my daughter-in-law.’

     Rosalind nodded her head, keeping her gaze low.

     ‘Frankly, I do not trust her. I want to you watch and report to me all that she does and says and anyone she meets. Do you understand?’

     Rosalind glanced at him astonished and angered. ‘I will not spy for you, sir, or anyone else,’ she said with energy.

     ‘Dammit!’ Sir Leopold exploded wrathfully. ‘I order it.’

     ‘So you might,’ Rosalind said firmly. ‘But spying is not in my remit and I’ll not do it. You must find someone else.’

     ‘Are you refusing to take up your duties at the cottage?’

     ‘No, I am not refusing that.’ Rosalind lifted her chin stubbornly. ‘I will cook, clean and wait on Mrs Trevellian hand and foot if need be, but I will not spy on her.’

     He sprang to his feet. ‘You are trying my patience, Miss!’

     ‘And you are trying mine, sir!’

     He glared at her with raised eyebrows for a long moment but Rosalind was determined not to be intimidated and continued to adopt an expression of defiance.

     ‘Huh!’ He grunted at last. ‘I see the Trevellian pride in you. Have it your way, then, for the moment. But you must move to the cottage immediately. I’ll explain your absence to Pricilla.’

     With a small curtsey Rosalind left the study. As she went to her room to pack a few things she dreaded the days ahead. What she had seen of Cynthia Trevellian so far had not impressed her. She appeared a cold selfish woman, and would probably look down on a humble companion with some disdain.

     Rosalind decided that while she would not stoop to spy on Cynthia Trevellian neither would she allow herself to be looked down on by such a faithless and amoral woman. She would stand her ground in the face of Cynthia’s sneering and give as good as she got.