CHAPTER SIX (Part One)

The dinner gong sounded and Rosalind and Pricilla made their way to the dining room.

     ‘Where is my sister?’ Pricilla asked of Linda as she took her place at the table.

     ‘She asked for a tray in her room, Miss. She’s unwell.’

     ‘Still sulking,’ Pricilla said to Rosalind. ‘She set her heart on a proposal of marriage from Brice. Oh, well, she’ll get over it. She needed taking down a peg or two.’

     ‘That’s a little hardhearted, Pricilla,’ Rosalind remarked. ‘I’m surprised at you.’

     Pricilla’s face fell. ‘I didn’t mean to be, but Melissa can be so beastly to me on times. And she’s so rude to you too, Rosalind.’

     ‘I’m here on sufferance,’ Rosalind reminded her. ‘So I must not mind it.’

     That was easy to say. But she did smart under Melissa’s deprecating remarks, especially those directed at her father.

     Linda was about to serve the soup when there was a commotion in the hall.

     ‘The master has returned,’ the maid said. ‘And Mr Cedric too. With your permission Miss Pricilla I’ll delay serving until they are seated.’

It was not too long before Cedric Trevellian and his father entered the dining room. They both stopped short on seeing Rosalind seated at the table.

     ‘Rosalind!’ Mr Cedric exclaimed. ‘You decided to stay after all.’

     ‘My God, Miss Trevellian!’ Sir Leopold burst out. ‘You’re as variable as the winds that lash the cliffs in winter.’

     ‘I’ve had a change of heart,’ she said quietly realising she must give some explanation. ‘Miss Pricilla needs me.’

     ‘Oh, yes, I do, Father,’ Pricilla exclaimed.

     ‘Well, I’m glad,’ Mr Cedric said as he sat down at the table and Linda served his soup. ‘Very glad.’

He smiled warmly at Rosalind and she was struck by the difference the smile made to his features. He was almost handsome at that moment. She felt strangely confused.

‘I’m not so sure of the benefits,’ Sir Leopold said gruffly. ‘A young woman who changes her mind as often as she changes her hat cannot be a good influence on a young mind.’

‘Please, Grandfather!’

‘Oh very well, Granddaughter,’ Sir Leopold said in the face of Pricilla’s distressed expression. ‘We’ll say no more on the matter.’

After dinner Pricilla was sent to bed. Rosalind decided to retreat to her room also, but first she would find a book to read from the library before going up.

She was browsing the shelves when Mr Cedric came into the room. For some reason she felt awkward in his presence and wondered at it.

‘Rosalind, I’m glad I caught you,’ he said. ‘I want to thank you for staying. I know it must have been a hard decision for you.’

‘There’s no need for thanks, Mr Cedric,’ she said feeling her colour rise. ‘I’m staying solely for Pricilla’s future welfare, I assure you.’ She wondered vaguely why she felt it necessary to state that.

He nodded. ‘I’m aware of that, Rosalind.’

Rosalind straightened her shoulders. Now was the ideal time to lay down some ground rules and remove Mrs Gilbert’s control of the girl.

‘I want assurance, Mr Cedric that I and I alone will have complete say in Pricilla’s daily routine.’

He raised his eyebrows quizzically but remained silent.

‘A healthy young girl should not be sent to bed each day, especially on a warm afternoon,’ Rosalind pressed on resolutely. ‘She should be out and about.’ She swallowed hard at the thought of laying down the law to him. ‘Mrs Gilbert’s control over your daughter must end as of now.’

‘I see.’

‘If you do not think I’m capable...’

‘I think you’re very capable,’ Mr Cedric said quickly. ‘I have every confidence in you, Rosalind.’

She wetted her lips. ‘Thank you, sir.’

‘Don’t call me sir,’ he said quietly. ‘After all we are related, even though it is a distant connection.’ He paused. ‘Is there anything else?’

‘Yes. Mr Brice Thomas called today and brought his sisters,’ she told him. ‘They are very fashionable young women. I feel that Pricilla, as young as she is, should not be outdone by them as regards fashionable attire.’

He smiled widely and Rosalind was struck again how the smile changed him. ‘What do you suggest?’

‘A good dressmaker should be engaged to rig out a completely new wardrobe for Pricilla.’

Mr Cedric nodded. ‘It would be a new and enjoyable experience for her, I dare say,’ he said thoughtfully. ‘I’ll see to hiring a suitable dressmaker myself.’

‘Thank you, Mr Cedric.’ She was relieved that he had not taken umbrage at her pushiness.

He glanced at her quickly. ‘I’m reminded that I promised you some new gowns. I’m sorry for my tardiness in arranging that, Rosalind. That too will be dealt with immediately.’

Rosalind felt her face flush to the roots of her hair.

‘Please, Mr Cedric, I was not hinting,’ she blurted.

‘I know that,’ he said. ‘There is no guile in you, Rosalind. Of that I am confident, too.’

Rosalind swallowed hard. ‘When will Mrs Gilbert be told of the changes regarding Pricilla?’

‘Tonight, if she has not already retired to bed,’ he said firmly. ‘First thing tomorrow otherwise.’

‘Will Sir Leopold object? I know he has doubts about me.’

The line of Mr Cedric’s mouth straightened. ‘No one will dictate to me where my daughters are concerned. Leave it to me, Rosalind.’

Rosalind dipped her head in acknowledgement. ‘Yes, Mr Cedric.’ She took up the book she had chosen. ‘I’ll say goodnight to you now.’

‘Goodnight, Rosalind, and thank you.’

She left him there and went to her room. She found her hand was trembling as she opened the door and went in.

She read for a short while, but could not concentrate. Finally she laid the book aside and settled down amongst the pillows. But sleep was slow in coming to her. All she could see in her mind’s eye was the smiling face of Cedric Trevellian.

POVERTY'S PRIDEOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara