CHAPTER FIVE (Part Two)

Rosalind was up early next morning and got on with packing her portmanteau before breakfast. She was not looking forward to telling Pricilla of her imminent departure. She sensed the girl had become attached to her. It was a great shame, but there was nothing she could so.

     She had just secured the clasp of her carpet bag when the bedroom door burst open and Pricilla rushed in. The child’s face was wet with tears and her expression was desolate.

     ‘Rosalind! Grandfather has told me. You can’t leave me. You can’t!’

     Rosalind put an arm around the girl’s shoulders and drew her to sit on the bed.

‘Please Miss Pricilla, don’t take on so,’ she said gently feeling very sorry to cause the child so much distress. ‘You have known me only two days. I’m sure your grandfather will find another companion for you, perhaps someone nearer your own age, much more suitable.’

‘But I want you. You’re my only friend.’

It disturbed Rosalind to hear the child repeat those words, and for a moment she felt as though she was abandoning her. But the strength of her own moral upbringing kept her from capitulating in the face of Pricilla’s tears.

‘I cannot stay, my dear girl, for personal reasons. I’m so sorry.’

Pricilla jumped to her feet, her glance at Rosalind full of misery. ‘Everyone I love leaves me! Everyone!’

With that she dashed from the room.

‘Pricilla, wait!’

Rising to her feet Rosalind was about to run after the girl but stopped. That would only make matters worse. Her decision was made and she would not go back on it.

Rosalind went down to breakfast feeling apprehensive, wondering if her resolve would survive on seeing more of Pricilla’s unhappiness, but the girl was not there and Rosalind breakfasted alone.

Her meal over Rosalind decided to return to her room and wait for the trap which would be ready within the hour. She was crossing the hall heading for the staircase when Mr Cedric came out of his father’s study.

‘Miss Trevellian!’

Rosalind paused, turning to face him.

‘I’m sorry to hear you are leaving us,’ he said. ‘I didn’t realize you were unhappy.’

‘It isn’t that,’ Rosalind said quickly. ‘It’s a matter of...principle, Mr Cedric.’

His face stiffened. ‘You’re referring to the scandal of my wife’s disgraceful behaviour.’

She was glad he was being frank. ‘Yes, sir, and not only that...’ She hesitated looking into his pleasant face deciding to be just as frank. ‘When the master of the house sets a bad moral example it affects everyone under the roof, even down to the boot-boy.’

Cedric flushed but he did not look angry. ‘You’re a young woman of high principles. I saw that straight away and I was glad because I knew Pricilla would learn true morality from you.’

His words gave Rosalind a jolt. Her hand was resting on the banister rail and he put his hand on hers as though pleading.

‘Will you punish the child for the sins of her mother or even her grandfather?’ he asked quietly. ‘I do not think you can, Rosalind.’

Rosalind was a little overcome and did not know what to say. When she did not speak she saw his wide shoulders bow a little and he looked sad.

‘I see. Well, I will plead for my daughter no more,’ he said, removing his hand and stepping back. ‘Goodbye to you, Rosalind Trevellian. I wish you well for the future.’