CHAPTER NINE (Part Two)

Linda put on her shawl and bonnet ready for her half day off.

     ‘Give my regards to your mother,’ Mrs Jowett said as she stood at the big table kneading dough ready for the oven.

     ‘I will, thank you, Cook.’ Linda was pleased at the remark yet a little puzzled. Mrs Jowett was not usually so friendly towards her mother.

     ‘And don’t be late back, mind,’ Mrs Jowett continued with a smile.

     ‘I won’t,’ Linda said returning the smile.

     She stepped towards the door leading to the back porch and was about to open it when a harsher voice stayed her hand on the knob.

     ‘And where do you think you’re going, miss?’

     Mrs Gilbert strode purposefully into the kitchen, glaring at her.

     ‘It’s her half-day,’ Mrs Jowett said in a defensive tone. ‘Off you go, Linda.’

     ‘Just a minute!’ Mrs Gilbert straightened her shoulders aggressively. ‘I’ll thank you not to interfere in my dealings with the servants, Cook. I’ll say who comes and goes in this house.’

     ‘But I always have Monday afternoon off,’ Linda said bravely. ‘My mother’s expecting me.’

     ‘Huh!’ Mrs Gilbert sniffed disparagingly. ‘I’m sure she is, just waiting for more gossip, no doubt. Your mother is the worst gossip-monger in the village.’

     ‘That’s not fair!’

     Mrs Gilbert stared. ‘Don’t you challenge me, miss,’ she said warningly. ‘You’d better have some respect for your betters.’

     Mrs Jowett gave a derisive grunt and Mrs Gilbert rounded on her.

     ‘What was that?’

     ‘I didn’t say a word, Mrs Gilbert,’ Mrs Jowett said. ‘But I don’t understand why you object to Linda taking her half-day as usual.’

     ‘She can take her half-day but she goes with a warning,’ the housekeeper said harshly. She glared at Linda. ‘Keep your wagging tongue to yourself, understand? No gossiping about what’s happening at Cliff House. The master will have none of that.’

     ‘I never gossip,’ Linda said quietly. ‘Now may I go?’

     Mrs Gilbert gave a brief nod. ‘You may, but heed my words, or your days at Cliff House are numbered.’

     With a quick glance at Mrs Jowett Linda left the kitchen and made her way towards the cliff path which was the shortest way to the village.

     She had lived under a cloud all her life due to her questionable parentage even though her mother had lived respectably since Linda was born. But people never forgot and would never let her forget the stigma of the past.

     That was why she felt so sorry for Rosalind Trevellian. The seeds of shame had been sown and Rosalind would never be free. Her future was blighted.

Linda understood the pain of that. What prospective husband would ever look at either of them in a favourable light? It was a hard cross to bear.

     When Linda reached her mother’s cottage she found her standing on the door step in obvious upset.

     ‘Oh, Linda, my dear, at last you’ve come,’ Daisy Bream said breathlessly. ‘Come in and shut the door before you’re seen.’

     ‘What on earth is the matter?’ Linda asked in alarm. ‘What’s happened?’

     Daisy’s eyes opened wide. ‘How can you ask that? You were in church yesterday. You saw and heard what happened.’ She shook her head vigorously. ‘You must not go back to Cliff House. It’s a hot bed of vice and sin.’

     ‘Mother!’ Linda said in exasperation taking off her bonnet and shawl. ‘You’re talking nonsense.’

     Daisy wrung her hands. ‘Oh, to think that vile strumpet. Rosalind Trevellian was under my roof. Why did you bring her here? Oh, my goodness! The shame!’

     ‘Stop it, Mother,’ Linda said impatiently. ‘How can you be so quick to believe the worst, you of all people?’

     ‘Oh!’ Daisy looked devastated. ‘How could you? I might have been a foolish young girl to let Leopold Trevellian take advantage of me,’ she said. ‘But I was never wanton. Leo was the only man who ever...’

     Both glanced at each other with embarrassment. Daisy collected herself quickly.

     ‘You can’t go back,’ she said firmly.  ‘By associating with that Rosalind creature you’ll be tarred with the same brush.’

     ‘Mother, have you no sense?’ Linda cried. ‘Her accuser was Joshua Tucker. I’ve told you of his detestable treatment of me; his disgusting suggestions...’ Linda could not go on. The very thought of the curate filled her with revulsion.

     ‘That is not the same,’ Daisy said vigorously. ‘He’s a man first before he is a clergyman and you are a beautiful girl. Of course he’s attracted to you.’

     ‘Mother,’ Linda said with sadness. ‘I fear you have a poor understanding. Joshua Tucker is a man without honour. He cannot be believed and I don’t believe him when it comes to Rosalind.’

     ‘But...’

     ‘No! I will not have you speak against her,’ Linda said firmly. ‘At this moment Rosalind is selflessly nursing a dying man.’

     ‘What nonsense!’

     ‘Jonathan Trevellian has returned home very poorly,’ Linda said. ‘In fact he looks dead already.’

     ‘Oh my!’

     ‘His father refused him houseroom,’ Linda said with disgust. ‘No one seemed prepared to help him except Rosalind. She’s nursing him at the old cottage.’

     ‘They are there alone together?’ Daisy’s mouth dropped open. ‘She and Jonathan Trevellian, who everyone knows is no more than a wild roué. Has the girl no shame?’

     Linda stamped her foot in outrage. ‘You’re no better than the other villagers, Mother,’ she cried out. ‘Always prepared to see evil when there is none.’

     Daisy’s eyes gleamed with curiosity. ‘Has Cynthia Trevellian returned with him?’

     ‘No!’ Linda put a hand over her mouth, feeling deep dismay. ‘Oh, Mrs Gilbert warned me to say nothing. I’ll lose my place at Cliff House if you tell anyone, Mother. Promise me you’ll keep quiet.’

     Daisy lifted her chin haughtily. ‘I’m no gossip.’ She shook her head. ‘No one shall hear the news from my lips.’

     Linda looked at Daisy uncertainly. If her mother had not angered her with talk against Rosalind she would have been more discreet. But it was too late now. She hoped her mother would show some sense and not repeat what she had heard.

     ‘I must go,’ Linda said. She had better not stay any longer.

     ‘But you’ve only just arrived,’ Daisy declared. ‘I won’t see you for another week.’

     ‘It might be sooner than you think if you spread gossip,’ Linda said bitterly. ‘I’ll never forgive you, Mother, if you cause me to lose my place at Cliff House.’