Chapter Thirty-Two

The next day, the entire camp woke up and were making a ruckus in the training area, which caused all the men in the cabin to wake up in due time. They were all given new uniforms and weapons, though Niall did spend a significant amount of time talking with the colonel before coming out with his arms full and a scowl on his face. Harry assumes the colonel agreed that Niall probably shouldn't be fighting, but gave in anyways.

Within the hour, the remaining members of the deserted company joined the regiment in their march toward the enemy. Harry can't remember where they said they were going, only that nearly all troops were called back from their stakes in the field for this battle. Everyone seems to think this is it. It's finally going to end.

Soon into the march, Niall has to fall to the back of the group due to his injuries, and Harry joins him within the minute. "Are you doing okay?"

"I'm fine. Don't know how far off this place is, but I'll be okay." Niall motions with his head for Harry to join the rest of the soldiers, but he just shakes his head and falls into step next to Niall. He's still limping slightly, but Harry can't tell if it's because of his injuries or because of what happened the night before.

He flushes pink at the thought, remembering how open and thankful Niall was for him. He told him how some of the men he was with before treated him like a prostitute, and how afterwards, he was normally left unfulfilled. With every kiss, Harry tried to convey how appreciative he was of Niall; for being with him, for helping him realize who he is, and for reminding him what he's fighting for.

Though, he wishes he didn't still have to fight. He wishes they could just run away together, abandon the fight completely, and go off to wherever they choose. Niall said he'd like to go back to Virginia to visit his uncle, but nothing beyond that. Harry would love to return to England to see his sister and mother, and everyone else he left behind.

He wonders if they would like Niall. If they would accept them.

"Hey," Harry says suddenly, reminded of his conversation with Louis, "do you think... we'd be allowed to..." Harry trails off, biting his tongue.

"What?" Niall looks up at him for a moment, nearly tripping over the rocks and bramble in the trail.

"Do you remember what he talked about last night? Before we..."

"About getting married?"

Harry looks up at the soldiers in front of him, cringing as he wonders if any of them overheard. It doesn't seem like anyone did, but he drops his voice anyways. "Yeah. Do you think we'd even be allowed to?"

Niall ponders this for a moment. "Hmm. I'm not sure." He takes a large step over a branch. "Back home, I met plenty of men that told me they were married."

"To women?"

"No, to each other. I don't know how official it was, though."

Harry smiles slightly, "Even if it's not official, I still want to do it."

"Yeah, me too. I could get all dressed up in a white dress..." Niall trails off, and Harry goes completely red.

"Y-you don't have to! We could both wear suits, ya know."

"It would be fun, though, right? Maybe that's how they did it, one of them took a female name. What should my female name be?"

"Niall! You don't have to change your name just to get married!"

Niall laughs and takes an off-kilter step into Harry's path, knocking into his shoulder, "Shouldn't I, though? I mean, if we get married, one of us will have to take the other's name..."