Chapter Six

Later on that night, everyone in the small barn is on edge. No one is sure about who has been tunneling, and those that are haven't come forward yet. Harry hopes they do tonight.

Just as Niall requested, Harry made sure each man got their fill of bread for the day, and even went around to give the pieces to men that were still asleep when the sun came up. There were a few questions about water, but Harry just shrugged and said the bread was there when he woke up.

Around the normal time, after the sun has gone down and the barn is pretty dark, the door creaks and opens, five men coming in one after the other, with Niall at the very end. Three of the men have their rifles drawn. Niall stands back next to the door, locking it and watching as the other men move toward the middle of the room.

"So, men, you've been given time to figure out what you want to do. Those that are guilty, come forward now, or face the consequences of not doing so." Jackson speaks, looking around the room at the men. Most of Harry's comrades are sitting, leaning against the walls, but a few are standing around instead.

The room is silent for a moment, and Harry can see Niall biting his lip out of the corner of his eye, barely catching it in the dim light. Harry turns his head toward him when the four men in the center are not looking, trying to gauge his reaction.

Niall seems nervous, almost scared, of what his allies will do if no one comes forward. Harry wonders if he overheard any possible punishments.

"Last call, men. You have one more chance." Jackson speaks again, and Harry looks back over at them. He notices that two of the armed men are glancing at him, making eye contact with each other afterward. Niall tenses when the two look back at him, and then back to Harry.

"Sir," one of them calls to Jackson. "I think we have someone to go off of."

"Who is it?" Jackson asks, turning his back slightly to look at the man that regarded him.

"That one's been eyeing Horan since we got in here." The shorter man points over to Harry. "He must know something."

"Horan." Jackson calls for Niall. Harry looks over at him again, not trying to be discreet this time since he's already been caught. "Has this man been weaseling to you?"

"No, sir." Niall tells, truthfully. However, Jackson doesn't seem convinced.

"You, come." Jackson motions for Harry to stand. Harry obeys, not wanting to cause any more trouble, both for himself and for Niall. When Harry enters the small group, he feels the tip of someone's gun press into his back uncomfortably. He wants to move again, to stand out of its reach, but there is nothing he can do. "You have one chance to tell me what you know."

Harry wants to shake his head, wants to run away and hide, wants to ease his nerves, and Niall's, since he also seems to be on edge. "I have no information for you, sir."

"He hasn't told me anything, Jackson, sir." Niall interrupts, inching closer, almost as if he's trying to guard Harry from this man. "When I came in this morning for my daily count, he took notice of me and only asked if they were going to be fed. I said it depended on if someone came forward by tonight. After that, he retreated."

Harry wants to nod, agreeing with Niall's lie, but he's still very much aware of the gun poking into his skin.

"Is this true?" Jackson regards Harry gruffly.

"Yes, sir. I do not know who has been tunneling."

Jackson nods, seemingly satisfied. However, a man behind Harry inquires, "Well, of course you didn't say anything. Who would want to be known as the guy who weaseled on his allies just for a bite to eat?"