Chapter One

After several hours of marching, and the sky above him getting darker, they finally come to a clearing of a few houses, a field, and a barn. There are lights gleaming from inside the houses and an bigger light, which Harry can only assume is a fire pit, flickers from a small area in between the houses. Harry can't make anything out until they draw closer, where he can see a large group of men surrounding the fire, chatting and laughing. However, everything becomes quiet as the men come closer, and a couple men run out to greet the returning soldiers.

"That's a lot of 'em," One of the men comments. "are you sure we can handle that many?"

"Some of them are injured and they'll prob'ly die during the night." One of the men on the front line speaks. Harry glances at his friend, who he has yet to learn the name of yet.

"Eh, good point. I'll go get the corporal." The same man scurries off, as the group continue to push forward until they're completely in the light. Harry can hear whispers around him, and he chances a glance around, taking in the small base.

In total, there are five moderately sized houses, with a few tents pitched up in the space between each one. In the distance, about 100 meters away, there is the barn, which is a pretty good size considering. The field surrounds them, extending to the left and right about fifty meters on each side. Right behind the barn, however, there is a small clearing of about ten meters, and then the woods begin again. A small village; Harry can't figure out if these men built it, or found it. He's never seen something laid out this way before.

"Good job, boys. These ones will surely get the enemy wondering." A man begins speaking, snapping Harry out of his analysis of the surrounding area. "Get 'em into the barn, now, would ya? We still have some more planning to do."

"Permission to speak, sir!" One of the men to the side of Harry salutes.

"What is it?" The man, who Harry can only assume is the corporal of this small company, asks.

"Who is going to watch over the barn, sir? We need someone to keep watch just in case they try to escape." The man to his side continues.

The corporal seems to think for a second, before turning around to the men sitting around the fire and calling out, "Attention!" All the men from around flock to the corporal, saluting him gracefully. The corporal salutes back, allowing all the men to relax. "Which of you men would like to keep watch of these men and the barn at all times, and is willing to report any problems encountered with these men?" He asks seriously, with a look of determination on his face. None of the men react. The corporal sighs, looking around at the group. "Show your worth, men! Show that you're able to handle this tough job!" He tries to encourage them. A few of the men look around at each other.

Just then, one of the men steps forward. "I am willing to take on the task, sir." His voice is soft, and very dissimilar to all the other voices of the men surrounding him. It's not gruff, or harsh, or loud.

"What was that, soldier?" The corporal yells, and the man visibly gulps.

"I am willing to do whatever it takes to watch over these men!" He tries to match his corporals intensity, but his voice is still slightly shaky. However, he salutes and breathes out harshly, "I will not let you down, sir!"

"Good, thank you, soldier! And what is your name?" The corporal asks.

"Niall Horan, sir!"

The corporal nods, "All right, Horan." He salutes back to the man. "We will discuss your duties while they put these men in the barn. Go on, boys." All the men salute once again, and begin to march in the direction of the barn.

Harry looks back at the man, Niall Horan, and the corporal walking into a building off to the left of them, with a few more men following behind. He faces forward again, towards the barn, where a small group of three men have gathered. Once they come close enough, two of the men lift their rifles and aim it at the group.